Exhaust Is A Jersey Fox Exhaust Cal. Legal?

CaliFox

Apr 8, 2015
I have a buddy who has a completely stock exhaust system from an '89 Fox that I'd like to use with my '88. I was wondering if the cats used on a fox that was purchased in New Jersy are up to the same standards as the stock cats on a Fox manufactured in California. In other words, can I slap my buddy's east coast Mustang exhaust system on my California Mustang and pass smog?

Thanks for the advice!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the link, but I still don't see any mention of there being a difference between a stock exhaust system from New Jersey and one from California. I can definitely understand that the aftermarket x-pipe mentioned in the forum thread you linked would not be California legal.

My whole issue is that I have a catalytic converter in my mid-pipe (driver's side, downstream) that is breaking apart and rattling an awful lot. I don't want to worry about it spitting ceramic honeycomb death into my muffler, but I also don't want to pay for a new california-legal cat and the labor associated with welding it in. My buddy from NJ has a complete, stock setup that he's willing to give to me if I pay for shipping. Hence my desire to know if a stock exhaust system from NJ would pass smog in CA.

The stock 4 cat setup should pass visual inspection no matter where the car was purchased.

The simple 100% check is to contact a Ford dealer or parts house and see it there is a different part number for Cali cars cat pipe than from the rest of the USA.

Visually they are the same.

No idea if they are physically the same. I'd do some part number searching to see if they share the same part number. Does cali still do a sniffer test?

The stock 4 cat setup should pass visual inspection no matter where the car was purchased.

The simple 100% check is to contact a Ford dealer or parts house and see it there is a different part number for Cali cars cat pipe than from the rest of the USA.

Visually they are the same.

No idea if they are physically the same. I'd do some part number searching to see if they share the same part number. Does cali still do a sniffer test?

Thanks Guys! I took your advice and called my local Ford dealer. Looks like there was only ever one Part No. for the entire mid-pipe assembly with cats. Looks like I'm good to go with the Jersey hookup.

Unfortunately, they still do a sniffer test in Cali and its a very strict one. A lot of newer performance cars have to go to special state inspectors to pass the bi-annual test. Also its near impossible to find a "buddy" smog tech who will pass your car for a favor nowadays. The state has been cracking down hard.

At least there's still a pretty long list of cool stuff that can be done to a fox with E.O.s from the CARB. And theoretically some easy stuff that you can just swap out at time of smogging.

Silly.

Was out in Cali recently. Loved it out there, but between vehicle laws, and firearm laws, I'd have a hard time enjoying my hobbies.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

You should really read that thread from the Corral. Crazy stuff going on there in CA. I could never live there with what they put you through. Wonder how all those Hot Rod Shops stay in business.. Must be the Hollywood Jay Leno money types.

Silly.

Was out in Cali recently. Loved it out there, but between vehicle laws, and firearm laws, I'd have a hard time enjoying my hobbies.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

California is amazing for so many reasons. I've lived here for my entire live on different parts of the coast, except for a little stint in Europe (the laws out there are incredibly more strict). I can't imagine living anywhere else, although I do love staying in other states.Unfortunately yes, the firearms laws are pretty strict too. No 30-rounders, SMBs or suppressors for me. Oh well. Not that I personally need any of that anyway. There are all sorts of loopholes to legally acquire and own many nice guns.

Luckily I have good friends who share my hobbies and have the space and setup to fully enjoy them. That's one of the benefits of growing up here. If I need to get into some real lawlessness (relative to CA) it's easy with my family and friends being nearby in Nevada and Arizona.

You should really read that thread from the Corral. Crazy stuff going on there in CA. I could never live there with what they put you through. Wonder how all those Hot Rod Shops stay in business.. Must be the Hollywood Jay Leno money types.

As long as its a pre-1975 gasser, its completely exempt from smog inspections. So classic hot rods are A-OK. It sucks, because its going to stay 1975 for the foreseeable future. As I was saying, though, there is a lot of decent CA-Legal stuff that can be done to the stock 302 to spice it up. Theoretically, you could put all sorts of stuff on, and swap it out for stock parts once every 2 years.

This can, in certain cases, become a pain in the ass for something that is going to be used as a street car. Long-tube headers are basically out of the question, as there are also no CARB legal ones and swapping them out requires lifting the block a bit. Exhaust, otherwise, is easy enough to swap out on the fly with aftermarket CARB legal shorty headers permanently installed. There are decent CARB legal heads and intake manifolds that pass smog no problem, and in certain cases improve the car's emissions. Stuff like larger injectors and a differently calibrated MAF, a tune chip, etc. are also easy to swap out before a smog inspection. You get the idea.

Basically, I can have my fun here in CA, I just have to be smart about it, do your homework, and its a little more expensive than other places. Also less like-minded individuals to provide an accessible and supportive local community. I just consider it to be luxury tax for living in paradise. Please send some water though! Thanks!