Is an aluminim flywheel worth it? Or just go billet steel?

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Just as the title says, I am going to be finnaly getting a tremec tko this spring/summer and I am trying to plan out all what I will need. Is an aluminum flywheel a good thing to get or not worth it right now. I know they are like $300+. I was thinking of getting a billet steel instead which is right around $150 or so. Thanx for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on if you are in class racing

Some classes warrant an alum SFI flywheel, others dont. they will give you a seat of the pants difference and make life on your ratoating assembly a little more prolonged . . . but it all depends on your financial situation.

I'v had an aluminum fly on my other cars and these are usually used in road racing mostly auto x, were gears stay in 1-2-3. The higher(numerically) the transmission gear the less effective the flywheel becomes. So it's basiccally useless in 4th and 5th. You will feel a difference in 1st and less of one in 2nd and so on. I'd def. get it again and probably will when I switch to a TKO.

Also something to think about is I had much better launching with a steel fly than an aluminum. The extra weight help carrys over the power on a laucnh were the alum won't. I know on the other vehicles that I drove most people kept the steel fly when 1/4 racing, don't know too much about stang's. Just got mine.

from what i understand in your average 3200lb + street stang the steel flywheel is the way to go because it stores more centrifugal energy. when you release the clutch it helps to get your car moving down the track instead of bogging etc. so i would think your best bet is stock.

-steve

I've been looking into this topic for a while now, and probally will be doing a clutch soon.

From what I understand, if your car is setup for drag, running slicks, billet steel is the way to go because the heavier flywheel will carry more kenitic energy/mementum and will get you out of the hole better. It is heavier than stock from what I have heard, but never held one to tell you.
Aluminum will weight less, and everyone knows rotational mass isn't good when RPM's are climbing rapidly. I think on street tires, the aluminum would be a better choice.
Then there is the stocker, lighter than billit, heavier than aluminum, and alot cheaper. You can either get your stocker machined or get a remanufactured one for about $60-80.

I'm kind of caught in the middle of the three myself. I would go aluminum, but I am wondering if they are worth the money.

90mustangGT said:
From what I understand, if your car is setup for drag, running slicks, billet steel is the way to go because the heavier flywheel will carry more kenitic energy/mementum and will get you out of the hole better.

Aluminum will weight less, and everyone knows rotational mass isn't good when RPM's are climbing rapidly.

I spend more time going through the rpm's then i do coming off the line. I'll save the weight and look somewhere else to get better weight transfer/traction problem solved. Been running an aluminum for a couple years now.

From what I have been reading, Aluminum is the way to go. You do loose a little in the launch but you gain it all back and more when accelerating. The engine will have much less rotating mass to move which allows it to spin up quicker and easier. Dunno if it is really worth the money depending on your application but it should help. I will have to cross the same decision when my clutch goes but I'm leaning toward the aluminum myself.
Kevin

if it were not for the price tag, I'd be running an alum. flywheel.
Guy on the Corral did before and after track evaluation in a mild setup.
Initially, his 60's were worse, but ET and mph were better.
Once he started playing with launch rpm, the 60's actually got better than with a billit steel flywheel.
Next time the tranny has to come off, an alum. will go in mine... for now the stock one will have to do.