Is anyone using an SN95 8.8 in their 67-70 car

callys

Oct 14, 2005
I pulled one of these at the local yard at the last half day for $95. Very familiar with working on/rebuilding this rear-end after owning foxes and sn95s.

I could only find one article on doing this swap on the internet (Car Craft), and they used drum brakes - which didn't answer many of my questions.

Is anyone actually using this rear-end in their car?

I know the spring perches need to be welded on... Anyone know who sells them in the right tube size for the 8.8?

How did you adapt the disc brakes? The discs are really the reason I went to this rear-end. What master cylinder did you use?

How did you adapt the emergency brake?

I know this rear-end is 2" wider than my 9" but I am going to ditch my factory 14" wheels for some magnum 500s, and I plan on just ordering wheels with an inch less ofset (3.5" I think) to make up for the difference...good plan?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for any info

• Sponsors (?)

from what i understand, its slightly wider than the Fox 8.8" which is approx. 1/2" narrower than the 67-70 stang's. I'm looking to do a swap into my 68 and because of my smaller rims, I too have to use the drums.

but a 5 lug swap isn't that hard, the parts are just as easy to find in a yard. grind everything off and weld on some new perches from summit. make sure all your angles are correct and it should be gtg.

I have a 95 8.8 in mine. They are 3/4" per side wider than a fox and a 67 and fox are with in 1/4" or less in overall length. I actually think it is more like 3/32". If you use an SN95 8.8 you will need around 5.5"-5.75" BS on an 8" wide wheel. Depending on the wheels you might have to use fox length axle and bracket from North Racecars to mount the calipers. One guy on VM relocated the stock bracket to the back of the flange, but had to cut off one bolt holes to do it.

I used perches for 3" tubes and ground a little on them to get a better fit before welding. The bigger issue IMO is the size of the hole for the leaf spring locating pin. I welded mine up and redrilled them to the right size. You might be able to buy a through bolt for the spring that has a bigger locating head.

I have not hooked up an e brake, but there is some stuff on making it work on the web. It is hard to search most forums because it won't recognize 8.8 since it is too short. Google will allow you to search and give you some good results to study.

Is anyone actually using this rear-end in their car?

I know the spring perches need to be welded on... Anyone know who sells them in the right tube size for the 8.8?

How did you adapt the disc brakes? The discs are really the reason I went to this rear-end. What master cylinder did you use?

How did you adapt the emergency brake?

I know this rear-end is 2" wider than my 9" but I am going to ditch my factory 14" wheels for some magnum 500s, and I plan on just ordering wheels with an inch less ofset (3.5" I think) to make up for the difference...good plan?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for any info

Alright, I have a 65, And used the rear end out of a 95. It was cut for what i needed, which doesnt help you at all. But can help with brakes i guess.

Call Calvert for Perches or anything else spring or suspension related, thats where i got my stuff from. I used the stock calipers/discs that were on the 95. I made a new brake line to connect everything, as well as upgraded to braded stainless lines from the hard line to the front calipers, and back line. At the time, I didnt change anything, i just stuck with the stock master, but I now have the strange Master cylinder purchased from Money Maker Racing.. Tell alex Greg from California sent you, and he will take care of you.. (see sig for his web site). As far as ebrake, i havent messed with that. Im switching to auto, so i honestly havnt worried about it yet. Maybe this summer ill tackle that loose end. Hope that helped.