Is carbs better?

Im thinkin bout goin carb because i just cant get my car tuned the way it should be its not a daily driver at all so it doesnt matter about any emmisions or gas milage .After all a cumputer olny allows the car to do so much.Could sombody thats been down this road please guide ,tha right right way im not much of a cobler.I just hate to get rid of everything i already have!

• Sponsors (?)

This is a never ending argument amongst some, but truth be told, with the right setup on a street car, either could out perform the other.

By definition, EFI is more advanced, and at the extremes it can be made to out perform a carb. On a street car, however, you would probably never reach those limits in performance, especially if you aren't concerning yourself with efficiency and accuracy.

The only issue with converting to carb then, is the extensive time and materials you will be spending to make the switch, and that is completely up to your personal preference.

FWIW, I'm only planning to switch to carb because it'd be too expensive and too much of a PITA to go from CFI to EFI than it would be to go from CFI to carb, and because CFI is just all around garbage for performance ... and perhaps not even all that great for reliability, either (although it seems to work great on my truck for that much, at least). If I had the time, money, parts, and a whole shop to go drop in a whole motor and all the wiring bits to an '86+ 5.0 in my '84, I'd be all over it, but alas I'm limited to weekend driveway projects until I can afford to buy a place with an enclosed garage ... which is years and years away from now, probably. :(

As stated, it depends on how much time, money, and effort you're willing and able to put into the conversion, the parts used, and the tuning of the finished product.

Personally, I think you'd be money ahead and saving yourself a lot of hassle just to stick with EFI and upgrade that, as opposed to switching to carb. You think you've got problems now with trying to make your EFI system work, wait 'till you create a whole new series of variables by switching to a carb setup, essentially starting from scratch, and trying to get that whole deal to work together right ... and without the aid of the EEC-IV system (basic as it may be) to help you in any way to diagnose any drivability issues.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25-$30 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.