Is fiberglass really that bad??

Timm10221

Aug 29, 2006
I bought "almost a year ago" a Full cobra R body kit that is Fiberglass, and I am finally almost ready to get it put on but am having 2nd thoughts. Is fiberglass really that bad, and anyone on here useing a fiberglass bumper or anything?? Should I stick that FG Cobra R front bumper on the 2000 or put on a stock or a 03-04 cobra bumper on? anyt thoughts to lean me one way or the other would help, cause i really dont know what to do.

• Sponsors (?)

+1

The first time you bump that Cobra R air dam(and you will) it's going to break. Urethane is much more forgiving. Plus with the functional air dam(like I have) it's removable. So it's not always on there.

the REAL cobra R bumper has a removable dam... you can get the dam buy itself and get a cobra bumper and just quick clip it on.... fiberglass is fine for a show car, but in the real world its bad news. i know a few people with the R urethane full bumper and they have so much spider webbed paint its rediculous... even the most careful driver will have an ooops! now and then....

fiberglass isnt all that bad, anybody that can drive a care with a bit of respect can keep one together. ive been running fiberglass body parts for 4 yrs now and havent has so much as a cracked paint job on mine.

as long as you dont kamikaze over bumps,dips and speedbumps you will be fine.

my front bumper drags my driveway everytime i leave the house and all it does is slide on the concrete, it doesnt rip off or crack.

where did you get that and how does it work! i really want that one... that way if i show the car i can throw it one and for everyday driving take it off...

Actually I bought a damaged one off of Ebay because I have access to a bodyshop. They supposedly sell at Ford for $600 and the mounting kit was $89. I called Ford because mine was missing 1 dzus fastener, and was told they no longer sell them because they can't get the hardware kits anymore. You may be able to get it somewhere else, I'm not sure though. They mount by 9 dzus fasteners. You have to have a Coba bumper though and drill the holes, attach dzus springs, and then mock it up to make sure it's right.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-16601-R00.pdf.