is hurst **** or is it my transmission

nick08mustangGT

Nov 27, 2010
okay now today im getting onto the highway and i rip on it going from 1st to 2nd and the gears grinded and didnt go into gear. thinking i just screwed up somthing i tried it again getting off of the exit and it happened again, and i tried it once more and wouldnt you know it did it again! is this problem the hurst shifter or is my transmission a peice of ****?

• Sponsors (?)

I had previously addressed this issue with you in another forum but as reference for others, the 08 GT's manual tranny is known to have problems.

Do you have a K-Member brace with torque limiters? If not I'd bet that's your problem.

Before I got the brace if I wanted to make a quick shift the shifter would get hung up, especially going into 3rd at the track. The reason is that the motor and tranny mounts are relatively soft and let everything flop around. Since the shifter attaches to the tranny and the chassis everything needs to stay lined up to shift correctly. The K-member brace with limiters braces the motor and tranny to the chassis and keeps the shifter lined up correctly. I don't miss shifts anymore now that I have the brace, pretty cool, weel worth the little bit of money.

I've heard too many bad things about the Hurst shifter. I went with a Steeda for function but used the Hurst stick and ball for the old school look.

I already had a K frame brace so I made my own torque strap. Cost was less than $20.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 115