Is it illegal to not have the stock engine?

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
Hey i've done a 4cyl-5.0 swap in my car and my tags are due already.. ive gotten one place to say its ok as long as all the emissions equip was also swapped over and its passes the test of course.. but then i called another shop and they said that they wouldnt smog it becuase its not the original 4 cyl engine that the VIN calls for.. Neways i dont no see problems about engine swaps as long as all the emissions quip was swapped and it passes the test.. and then theres insurance fraud ( i only pay 91 bucks/ month and im 18!) but insurance has nothing to do with smog.. So yea if neone knows about this stuff, id like to hear wats legal and whats not! thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't see why it would be illegal. The best thing to do is call the local DMV office. If they ask why you are asking, tell them you are looking at a car with a different engine.

I am actually interested to find out the answer.

I had it changed on my registration to say 8cyl instead of the 4cyl shown by the VIN. Gets some looks when the VIN is checked but I always just tell them it was a swap.

But I also lack almost all the emissions equipment. My mech is just a nice guy.

Oops I should add that NH registrations list the number of cylinders the engine has, along with the make, model, and color descriptions.

Don't know about other states.

i have progressive.. dont no how our registration is thought up tho. I got the number to some smog referee im supposed to call and he will break it down for me tomorrow.. There closed right now.. but ill post back

some of those places just hassle you because it makes them feel almighty i think.........

as far as i know, any engine swap into anything is legal as long as the car originally came equiped from the factory with that engine option available......meaning, if it was a factory option for that year it should be perfectly fine.

go get it smogged then find the shop that told you you couldn't and give them a piece of your mind so they don't try to freak someone else out.......i have serious issues with the whole smog thing.....i beleive as long as it passes it shouldn't matter what engine or equipment is in it but......big brother likes to tell you what you can and can't do sometimes...:bang:

I heard its illegal to have an engine other than how it came out of the factory :shrug: I would take it to the guy that said its ok and just ask around...My friend has a 4cyl conversion pushing 550+rwhp and paying insurance for a 4 banger hehe :rlaugh: :D

worst case scenario- buy a completly wasted v-8 car just for the title, switch the vin stuff.....or do what ever switcharoo you'd be doing if it was like a frame off restoration....or restore salvage, doubt you'll have to do that though...

Well I am certified in nevada. The law here states that you can swap any engine into a car as long as it still passes emissions, meaning it must have the original smog equipment for the new engine. The only way you cant get away with it would be to say put a 5.0 pushrod in an 05. It can be done, but the 5.0l pushrod would be tested just like the new 05s would, so you would need to 1 get an obdii system to work with the 5.0, and 2 get it to stand up to the 05 standards(which in this state just means scanning the obdii). Check your local laws tho as every state is different. I can't imagine it being illegal anywhere to put a 5.0l in a 4 cyl car, i mean it is legal in cali right?

timewarped1972 said:
worst case scenario- buy a completly wasted v-8 car just for the title, switch the vin stuff.....or do what ever switcharoo you'd be doing if it was like a frame off restoration....or restore salvage, doubt you'll have to do that though...

Great. Let's advise the kid to commit a felony.

What almost none of you guys are considering is that he's in California, home of the strictest emmissions laws in the country. This is a question best answered by a local speed shop, more than likely. Forget the DMV. Ask three people there and you'll get three different answers. Somebody recommend a reputable shop in CA that works on high performance Mustangs and they'll have the answers.

A few great things about living in florida...People don't care your have O/R H pipes or flowmasters (soon glasspacks :D), and its not required by state law that the police check for catalytic converters, or smog equip :D :D. I also have progressive and am paying 98 a month, and I'm 17. My stang's also been swapped (2.3 -> 5.0), but i ain't sayin a damn thing to the florida dmv lol...keeps my insurance under 100 a month :)

wythors said:
Great. Let's advise the kid to commit a felony.

What almost none of you guys are considering is that he's in California, home of the strictest emmissions laws in the country. This is a question best answered by a local speed shop, more than likely. Forget the DMV. Ask three people there and you'll get three different answers. Somebody recommend a reputable shop in CA that works on high performance Mustangs and they'll have the answers.

i don't think it's a felony if he bought a junk car and some how used the parts nessesary to make it a real car........people do it all the time, take two cars make one good one, as long as you own the title to both cars, i don't think it's an issue......as long as like i mentioned it was a restore salvage......certaily there's a legal way to do that, look at all the cars pieced together that aren't anywhere near the original car. i didn't suggest he just steal a vin tag i said to buy a car with title or a restore slavage title and switch the nessesary parts which under those circumstances i would think would be legal. but......

i appologise if i suggested something that could get anyone in trouble..........but i'm sure there's a legal way to do that if you have two legal car titles......there has to be......as mentioned california is the strictest with everything, their also one of the biggest states where hot rodding and car crafting is done as well so there must be some way in which people have been dealing with all these issues over the years....

i only meant it as a possibility in case he found his car couldn't be legal and then there he sits with a useless car...hopefully he posts the results so we know what happened, i'm sure curious now, lol....

My car is a 5.0 swap....when I went to emmisions I got lucky and the kid that was working the machine he said didnt give a crap, he just changed my history in the computer from "4cyl" to "8cyl". Also from what I understand, here in Maryland (the home of all ridiculous laws) it actually is legal to have an aftermarket motor as long as all the required emmisions goodies are functional.

btw I only have liability insurance on my car since the title says its a 4cyl with 180,000 miles worth $600. (cheaper for taxes) .I asked my State Farm agent about my situation and told her I have a car thats really an LX now with 75k miles worth roughly 5G....she said they dont care in my case. I wanted to get my stang appraised and get full coverage insurance but my agent even told me she thinks its not worth it for me since theyd consider my car a kid killer and my rates would be pretty high.

Damn I was debating to move to america since I'm a dual citizen but I think I'm going to stay here in mantioba where theres no emission laws and I can do whatever I want to my car without any hassle whatsoever casue there ain't no smog pump or catalyst converter on my car lol :OT: