is it important to upgrade to a nicer harmonic balancer?

i am changeing out my harmonic balancer/damper. is it wise to upgrade to a nicer one? i dont plan on keeping this car long but i also dont want one that will brake in a month. autozone sells em for 62 bucks. is that an ok way to go? or should i spend more and go nicer? please reply asap cause i dont wanna wait around.

• Sponsors (?)

i am changeing out my harmonic balancer/damper. is it wise to upgrade to a nicer one? i dont plan on keeping this car long but i also dont want one that will brake in a month. autozone sells em for 62 bucks. is that an ok way to go? or should i spend more and go nicer? please reply asap cause i dont wanna wait around.

You will not be getting any added benefits like a more "accurate balance"....you are just buying for longevity. And since you arent keeping the car for long.....

I'd say go get the autozone one and not look back. I did when i was in a crunch for cash. They have a warranty so even if somehow it did start to lose its rubber out the back, u can replace it for free.

how long exactly are you keeping the car?

The Auto Zone brand is Dorman, and it's a giant POS. Had two of them, both lasted less than a year.......and I barely drive the car.

I would consider getting a non SFI Pioneer or Professional Products balancer. It's gonna run you about double what a stock replacement would, but I say if your gonna do it.........do it right the first time.

-J

wow either they have really gone down in price over the past few years or I got ripped off big time :shrug: Cheapest I could find was around $100 a few years back

I bought mine from Autozone which at the time was a few bucks cheaper than Kragen

No they just offer multiple pioneer balancers. RAnging from $59 (along with a $60 dorman) up to $200 SFI balanced.

Go to autozone.com and look up balancers for our cars....theres like 5 or 6 options.