Is it normal for the tensioner to bounce slightly?

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
I've been trying to diagnose a squeak coming from my belt area for the last week--it sounded as if it was coming from the tensioner/tensioner pulley so I replaced the pulley but to no avail. It still squeaks at idle and at low speeds.

While checking to see if all the pulleys were aligned properly I noticed the tensioner was bouncing just slightly while the engine idles (maybe a centimeter or two tops in one direction or the other). Is this normal or an indicator of a bad tensioner?

Thanks fellas.

Also, are there any tricks to using an automotive stethoscope? I've tried placing the needle around different spots/pulleys but even while the car is squeaking I can't find a definitive source with the steth.

• Sponsors (?)

Try spraying one pulley at a time with some WD-40 and see if the noise stops. If you hit one and it stops you know which one needs replaced

I believe there are only two pulleys with bearings. The tensioner and idler. Others such as the alternator, balancer, A/C and power steering the bearings are internal to the device. I would spray only the idler or tensioner bearings. If that doesn't eliminate the sound use the stethoscope. When using the stethoscope you want to place the probe close to where you suspect the problem is. In your case, on the housing where the bearing/bushing is located.