is it possible to have a ps pump that doesent make noise?

I just put a PS pump on mine, someone had taken the AC and PS off of the car before I got it. I just went to the junk yard and pulled a pump from a 2000 ford taurus. Since there was no PS pump before, I replaced the rack and flushed out the cooler with brake clean before re-assembly. It was noisy at first until all of the air worked out of the system. Now it's quiet at idle and very minimal noise under load (turning the wheel), but then again, I have 1 chambers on the car, so I hear nothing but rumble when Im driving lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I used an aftermarket bracket for AC eliminator, but the bracket I used was for the stock ford pump. If you look up a 2000 3.0L Taurus PS pump and a latter fox 5.0L PS pump (89-93, dont know about other years), they have the same part # at AZ or AAP.

Here is a couple of pics

1258729362.jpg

Close up
1258729378.jpg

Well, like I said, if you go to AutoZone or Advanced or O'Rielys, its the same pump between those two car models, so if you get it there, you probably will have the whine until you find the cause. Have you greased everything under there and checked for binding? Outer tie rod ends and ball joints. If the pump is working really hard to assist in turning the wheels, it will whine alot. Like I said, I used that pump, but replaced pretty much everything (except the PS cooler). You may want to flush it out completely and try again with fresh fluid... also if you are getting metal flakes, they are coming from somewhere.... can only be from the rack or the pump in that system.

Well after getting pissed off enough at the noise my PS pump was making I did some extensive research on the problem last night. The answer was right here on this board. A BIG THANKS to jtfairlane for the info. One thing he didn't mention was to unplug the fuel pump relay when cranking the engine so you don't flood the cylinders. I flushed it with 3 quarts of fluid. The noise is 95% gone. When idleing they is no noise at all. There is a very slight noise when turning, but that's in my garage with the walls holding in the sound. I'm sure outside it will be even fainter. Hopefully driving it will work out what little air is left in the system. All in all I'm very happy with the results. Here is a link to the thread with the precedure.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/701655-how-i-got-rid-power-steering-whine.html