Is it possible?

I am always arguing with import guys about how they suck.....i think we all agree you know aside from ferrari porsch etc. i'm talking honda huyaday, mitsu etc. they always say my 4 is as fast if not faster than your 8. and i always say take away the power adder and there is no chance. am i correct in saying that or is it possible to make a 4 or hell even 6 cylinder car all motor as fast as an 8 given the exact same budget for mods and the exact same weight of car?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i'm not into the rice scene at all, but i don't think its fair to say 'take away the power adder' and i'll be faster? Horsepower is horsepower. If those imports come stock with a turbo or whatever, then so be it! I don't really care how a car makes its power. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to throw tons of money into a civic or cavalier etc just to hope it can keep up with the stock v8's, and then brag about it. we all have that same option too! you don't see the v8 guys catching grief for running twin turbos or 24lbs of boost! pretty sure we'd all love to do that if we had the money!! I agree, hp is just $$$, with enough $$$, anything will go fast.

If you have money you can make anything fast! The old saying goes;

How fast you wanna go? How much money you got?

Absolutely right! It is cubic dollars that win races, not necessarily cubic inches.

With the limited displacement, the 4 cylinder car is going to wind up to an incredible shrieking RPM to make the same power, but it will do it. The power band will be way up the RPM range and you'll need wall climber gears get the car moving. Once it does get into the power band, it will be fast. It would be like some of the Japanese super bikes - a screech and a blur as they fly past at 130 MPH+

with multiple cams and a high flowing head, yeah a 4 banger will take and 8 cyl, but it will be really high up in the power band. with the technology these days damn near anything is possible. the 5.0 aint the benchmark it once was, seems some people have a hard time getting over this. the topic seems to pop up a lot lately.

Depends on the two motors...

A high tech 4cyl, vs an old school Chevy 307, or Ford 260, the 4cyl might make more NA power.

Why tell them to get rid of the power adder, its as fair as breathing air. All a motor does is suck air in and pump it out, why not let any means of that possible...

Some people make Mustang guys look bad!

Absolutely right! It is cubic dollars that win races, not necessarily cubic inches.

With the limited displacement, the 4 cylinder car is going to wind up to an incredible shrieking RPM to make the same power, but it will do it. The power band will be way up the RPM range and you'll need wall climber gears get the car moving. Once it does get into the power band, it will be fast. It would be like some of the Japanese super bikes - a screech and a blur as they fly past at 130 MPH+

Or in other words, a Spoon Racing VTEC engine. They'll turn 11k RPM and make close to 400hp all motor. To me, that's just plain badass. I would absolutely love to have a Mustang coupe with a 2.3 built with unlimited money. It wouldn't have that snap your neck torque but it would handle so damn good you'd make up for it in the corners.

Blah! I say a worked 302 Chevy will smoke a worked 4 banger!

Well yeah....i don't think with X amount of dollars spent on both engines that you're ever going to make up enough power with half the cylinders if you're not running forced induction or nitrous. The fact is that in order to make sick power with small displacement on an all motor application, you HAVE to turn big RPM, and that my friend is going to cost you 10x what it's going to cost you to make the same power in a 302 or similar V8.

I am always arguing with import guys about how they suck.....:

lol.

So your car is better than every import out there? Your point of view is, i hate to say it, but very ignorant. I know your the person just to give someone money and they build your car for you so you dont respect the work people put into their cars because its an import. And yes, I know you said in your other thread that a shop built your car for you.

It also depends on where that power is going to get used. For example, i ran a guy on the highway in a Civic and he left me sitting after 100mph....but i'd rape him in the quarter. He didn't wanna run me from a stop because he knew better.

The magic begins when you combine the big cubes and extra cylinders with high RPM :D

Or, consider this....those "other" imports..Ferrari, Lamborghini....all those guys. They really figured it out if you ask me. They realise that you need both cubes and high RPM if you really want a serious performer. So, since it's difficult to run big RPM with big block sized pistons, they decided to just make more cylinders, albeit smaller ones. So, take 12 cylinders and you still only have like 3-4 liters, but you make up torque since you have 12 cylinders pumping at the same time. Then factor in that those smaller cylinders can move faster and easier and are lighter, then they're going to rev faster and higher than any larger displacement engine can. Then when it comes time for the power adder, those same qualities just add to the formula to make a car that'll go 0-60 in just about nothing flat.

Or, to sum all that up in a car, just look at the Veyron. A W16 engine with 4 turbos....

lol.

So your car is better than every import out there? Your point of view is, i hate to say it, but very ignorant. I know your the person just to give someone money and they build your car for you so you dont respect the work people put into their cars because its an import. And yes, I know you said in your other thread that a shop built your car for you.

Oh snap. :lol:

Yes there are fast imports that will walk over v8 cars. Yes there are fast v8 cars that will walk all over imports.

What you need to remember is that the truly fast imports are very few and far between. This is mostly becaue they cost a lot to build. The majority of the asshats concerned with their imports being fast (ie highschoolers, wiggers, and azn wannabees), don't have the capital to build the imports properly.

Example, there is a guy here with a MX3 Presidia that hung a bobcat turbo of all things on it. Add one loud blowoff valve and voila...dude thinks he is fast. Car runs a 15.5 at the track. Cars that come stock with 100 hp are not worth modifying. A turbo that even adds 50hp costs around 4k.

Another guy in a Delsol did a twin turbo setup here in town. His license plate read "Me too fast". By most accounts the car ran high 11s, which is definately respectable. Unfortunately, he blew all his money on top end and didn't bother with bottom end or fuel management upgrades. I saw his car before the engine grenaded huffing thick black smoke out of the exhaust and it sounded like there were marbles in his engine. If he had had another 30-40k, that thing would have been crazy, beut being just out of highschool, the dude just didn't have the coin.

I priced a "10 second car" import build as I was interested in building one, but the cost to do it right came in at close to 60k. I am going to have 35k into my fox and it will run 10s all day long reliably.

My cousin has about 25k into a 1966 Chevy 2 4 door station wagon, and he runs 10s all day. When that thing literally stands on the bumper and there are spark flying off of it, people notice.

S2000 and cars like that are generally driven by older, more mature individuals who aren't concerned with whupping some dude in a 5.0. And the young kids that drive them are using mom's or dad's or grandpa's car and are more likely to wreck them into something becaue they aren't used to it.

A buddy of mine imported a Skyline from Japan and that cost him about 12k. The car is in rough shape, but I gotta admit, that thing pulls hard and sounds pretty crazy while doing it. It pulls just as hard as my stock fox coupe with both cars being NA. Plus it is right hand drive which rocks.

So if you get owned by a dude in an import, congratulate him of having a quick car. If you get beat by a rocket powered outhouse, shake the man's hand.

Fast is fast no matter what the badging on the vehicle is.

You know there are two kinds of people who drive these imports, the dumb a$$'s with just a big wing, shovel for a bumper cover and the biggest fart can muffler they can fit under the darn thing. And then there are the ones who actually build the cars right. Around here there are the kids with nothing done but the wing and muffler and they think they own the roads and drive like idiots, and all I do is laugh at them. But when I see one that was actually built right and is putting down some real power, my hats off to him. I don't care what you drive, as long as you are into cars and don't act like you own the roads and are better than everyone else, I am fine with it. Who cares if they are faster than you, if they put tens of thousands of dollars into there car to make it that fast so be it. I'm not gonna go up to him after he whoops me and say "take off your power adder and what not... and I'll smoke you" If he paid for it, he deserves the respect for having a fast car.

On a side not, I still hope I never get smoked by an import, atleast in the 1/4.

lol.

yep thats right i pay somebody to do my work and i love it as much as anybody loves there car just because i dont do my own work doesnt mean anything. btw i pay a guy i know to do my work not a shop and he needs every cent of the extra money so **** you and your opinion on who works on my car, and he didnt build the car he just put some parts on the motor for me i like speed i've just never had anybody teach me how to do all the stuff.