is it really this slow?

I took my mustang to the track and was very dissapointed. First run was 16.9 and after adjusting timing finally ran a 15.4 at 91mph. From what the previous owner told me it should be running quicker. he said in his words the motor is out of a 94 gt and it is now a 331. It has trick flow street upper and lower intake, e-303 cam, bbk shorty headers, professional products throttle body and spacer, an off road h pipe and some knock off flowmasters. The auto trans has some problems but down the track ran great

should it really be this slow or was he lying about beaing a 331:(
what should this setup be running

60ft-2.3323
330ft-6.7675
1/8 et-10.1
1/8 mph-72.96
1/4 et-15.4646
1/4 mph-91.91

• Sponsors (?)

With your selection of parts, you should be running low-12's/high-11's. Based on your MPH, I'd say you're certainly down on power. Are you certain you've got a 331, or are you just taking the previous owners word for it?

forgot to mention it has aftermarket heads not sure what kind though. I am going by what he told me, I am new to v8 engines but to me it doesnt sound like a normal 302, i know it sounds crazy . If it isnt a 331 what should it be running as a 302

Something is definitely wrong there. Even a stock 302 should run better than that.

Hell, when I first got my 90, it had a crap non-H.O. motor in it with a AOD. I took it to an 1/8 and ran 10.2, with stock exhaust, mufflers and all, in a full weight GT with a non H.O. and an auto. So I would think even a stock 94-95 would be quicker than a 10.1 1/8th.

I did swap in a 5 speed, after that, and even when it had that non H.O. motor in it, it was like a different car.

When I raced it I had to leave the shifter in drive because the previous owner put the wrong b and m hammer shifter and it is about to break, so I have no idea what gear it was leaving in. The car feels struggles to get to 3000rpms then takes off and throws me back really hard in the seat

100_2067.jpg

You can look in my sig and see what my 93 AOD vert runs NA. Its a 302 p headed combo, TFS stage 1 cam and basic bolt ons, 4.10s and shift kit. Even if yours was a 302 combo I would say that there is something wrong. Since it is a 331 something is definitely wrong.

Most PP throttle bodies whistle... at least the three I have owned did. As for the clickingnoise... I havent the foggiest man.

I see allot of little things on that motor I dont like. The mis matching valve covers for one, the half assed block off of the coolant line that feeds the throttle body normally.
The MAF may also not be tuned to the injector size. If its a C&L then you need to make sure it has the right sample tube for the injectors installed, I dont know what size red injectors are but I am sure someone will chime in.
Also C&L meters suck anyway. Having the air filter there will cause issues as well. It will get turbulence from the fan and its sitting right above the header feeding to a metal tube. Your AIT must be extreamly high! I would change that out and get a fender well mounted setup or even a stock box with a K&N filter.

There is allot of very nice stuff there too. Great intake and nice fan/rad combo. Has a 3G conversion and some nice looking headers. You should be able to see what kind of heads they are by looking at the front of them. Most companies will have their name and/or the part number on the end right behind the altenator or the A/C elimination bracket.See what it says and let us know.

Now on to checking for issues. For one I think your trans is a big issue and may only be using 2nd gear at launch. I would still pull all the plugs and check them and then do a compression check. Autozone used to sell this $20 tool that hooked to the port by the drivers shock tower that would test various things but what I used it for was to check the injectors. It would run one at a time full open to make sure each was flowing. Check your TPS and make sure you are at .90-1 volt at closed throttle (there will be arguments on the exact voltage but thats a good range).
Whats your base timing set at with the pill removed?

You are about an hour and a half away. I dont have the compression tester nor do I have the test module anymore..... damn, come to think of it I dont even have a timing gun anymore (all my cars lately are COP). :(
I was gonna offer you to come over and I would help ya out but you would need those three things.
Hell LMR and Texas Mustangs are on the way if ya wanted to get parts. :D

I just changed the plugs maybe about 2 weeks ago . One of them were cracked, as far as the timing my stepdad set that for me and he said it was advanced too much causing the motor to ping. now it is set at 14 degrees. I looked on the heads and can't find any numbers or logos. as for the injectors the part number is f1se-e5a it came back as 30# injectors. Is that too much for the motor, I dont know if it has a stock fuel pump