Is it the starter???

Hey guys. Now I have a little garage of my own, so I continue with my baby. I just finished putting in the rear end, fuel tank, rear brake lines, and new master cylinder ans reservoir. Maybe from sitting, or maybe getting wet from the outsude weather, but I think the starter went bad.

However, it's hard to say, because I have had starters go bad before, and they generally never produced much noise when they didn't work. But this sound was kinda weird. It came from the right (passenger's) side of the car. It's sounds like a grinding groaning. Imaging stirring an empty pot with a metal spoon. Sounds like that. The car doesn't even attempt to turn over. I checked that battery connections and solenoid connections. No issue there. The only thing I can think is that I had to recharge my battery a little becuase after sitting for so long, It had NO power. Any ideas would be helpful!!! Thanks folks.:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

You could set the inition key to the on position and manually touch the starter cable to the positive battery post. I don't recommend it.

Also with the ignition key in the on position, you could build a switch to jump the solinoid into the start position. Basically you just put a push button switch and wire 1 end to the + side of the soliniod and the other end to the S terminal. When you press the button down it is the same as turning the ignition key. If nothing else that will get you closer to the sound while its happening.

If you make a nice one you can save it for when... your friends cars have ignition switches that brake... ya thats it, friends that have broken ignitions.... hehe. Seriously tho, its a useful item to have around.

killer medic said:
When I try to start the car, there is no click or the sound of attenpting to turn over. There is just an immediate whine. Could it still be the starter? Is there a quick and easy way to find out without taking it out to get tested?

Your description sounds like a bad starter.

My starter recently died on me and was replaced. My symptions were this; sometimes, the car acted like it wanted to turn over for about 1-2 seconds but then Iwould just hear this hollow-sounding droning noise. Other times, the car would not turnover at all and all I got was just the droning noise. That noise was the starter motor's gear coming off the flex plate and spinning. A new starter fixed that problem good.