Is it worth it to wait for the SE cars, or will resale be good in 2 years?

Scot_94GT

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
Spring Lake Park, MN
What do you guys think the resale value will be on an '05 Mustang GT in a couple years?

Sure, there is high demand for them now, but I predict in a couple years, the market will be saturated, and resale value might dive.

The reason I ask is because I really want one of these cars, but if a Mach 1 version comes out 2 years down the road, I will be kicking myself for not waiting. So, if I DO buy an '05, and Ford DOES introduce a Mach 1 for 2007 or something, what kind of trade in value will I be looking at? If I will have to drop another $15,000 just to upgrade, I think I can wait...but if they hold thier value very well, and the upgrade only costs me 5-10k, then I might just throw caution to the wind and go buy an '05 next spring.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs never hold their value very well,and i expect once the newness wears off of the '05,it will drop like a stone in the used car market. Good for used car buyers,bad for new car buyers. I'm looking forward to seeing either the '05 GT or the 400HP GTO as a cheap used car bargains! Check autotrader for 2-3 year old GTs and you can guesstimate what the '05 MIGHT be worth,even the Mach 1 and Bullitt are coming up dirt cheap,so don't hold your breath hoping to hold any value.
The waiting game is a losing game,as far as new car introductions go. Wait a couple years for a new Mach 1 and god knows what will come a year after that. Boss? Shelby? a new Bullitt? You can never keep up,look at the mustang starting in '99,you had a bunch of great mustangs released almost year after year. '99 cobra-'01 bullitt-'01 cobra with better interior and more colors-'03 mach 1-'03 supercharged cobra..........you can't win,if a certain model moves you,buy that one and enjoy that one,or else,you've wasted precious mustang driving time waiting for something that may not come or may not be what you expect.

its like computers

Scot_94GT said:
What do you guys think the resale value will be on an '05 Mustang GT in a couple years?

Sure, there is high demand for them now, but I predict in a couple years, the market will be saturated, and resale value might dive.

The reason I ask is because I really want one of these cars, but if a Mach 1 version comes out 2 years down the road, I will be kicking myself for not waiting. So, if I DO buy an '05, and Ford DOES introduce a Mach 1 for 2007 or something, what kind of trade in value will I be looking at? If I will have to drop another $15,000 just to upgrade, I think I can wait...but if they hold thier value very well, and the upgrade only costs me 5-10k, then I might just throw caution to the wind and go buy an '05 next spring.
sort of like computers, the latest thing eventualy loses its value.the real question is, do you want to have fun, and two years is a long time to wait. have fun now, enjoy life, and cars. its like trying to time the stock market , you cant. its best to just keep investing. with cars its best to just enjoy them. there is always going to be someone for your used car, especially if you keep it mint.

not worth the wait. they will not hold the value like everyone would hope. they will provide you with a good time. Like the others are saying. Ford will keep comming out with a new model SVT,Mach,Shelby to keep the intrest high. All you got to do is look at the past to predict the future. I don't think they will tank though. What drive the trade in is supply /demand. I bet the 94-04 models have lost a lot of resale value.

Never buy a Mustang with the intention of gaining any resale worth. Any car really.
I also intend to purchase one of the SE's around 2009, but I won't part with the 99 GT/LE for it. It simply won't be worth it. The car will be nearly a ten year old/low mileage Mustang GT. Nothing more. I have no dillusions of reaping any profits on it.
I enjoy the car when I drive it now and will enjoy it then along with the next one I get.
-Jason