Is it worth porting stock heads?

payupsucka said:
i dont think it really worth spending the money to port stock heads when for a little more you can get aluminum heads that are better lighter and will dissapate heat easier every thing that a stock head will never do

Little more???? for that little more (probably around $4-500) I could do quite a bit more in modding my car. I mean that would be a new intake and cam right there. Don't get me wrong, I like aluminum heads but they aren't for everyone. I can't afford them and I would be very very happy with high 12's low 13's in my stang.

• Sponsors (?)

the thing everyone forgets that has every possible "go fast" part on their car is........some of us are still spending money on tires, fuel pumps, clutchs etc.........not everyone bought their car with all the go fast parts on it to start with. There are a lot of people who buy their cars with all the goodies on it, and adding aluminum heads and custom cam is some of the items that can at that time be upgraded. I think choosing the first "go fast" parts is critical. You don't want to go thru buying the same parts twice. But then again you dont want to throw on a set of edelbrock heads on a stock block with few modifications.......such as stock fuel pump, stock intake, stock air filter base, etc etc.... some things should go in steps.........modding a stock mustang is one of those things........IMHO!
Jack

jackchan said:
the thing everyone forgets that has every possible "go fast" part on their car is........some of us are still spending money on tires, fuel pumps, clutchs etc.........not everyone bought their car with all the go fast parts on it to start with. There are a lot of people who buy their cars with all the goodies on it, and adding aluminum heads and custom cam is some of the items that can at that time be upgraded. I think choosing the first "go fast" parts is critical. You don't want to go thru buying the same parts twice. But then again you dont want to throw on a set of edelbrock heads on a stock block with few modifications.......such as stock fuel pump, stock intake, stock air filter base, etc etc.... some things should go in steps.........modding a stock mustang is one of those things........IMHO!
Jack
agreed!

I ran Thumper's ported E7's with double valve springs for two years. I had plenty of kills of other fox mustangs with Edelbrock, TFS, GT40, and even the famous AFR165's. I was running the 1/8th at a rough track, on 17" Cobra r's on Nitto's, launching from 1800rpm getting 1.8 60ft's and trapping 8.4 at 85mph, and that was almost a full weight GT hatch with 24-50% leakdown on the cylinders. "How?" you might ask, because it's about the total combo, that's how. "so if they performed so great, why did you sell them?" I sold them because of my new combo, I simply outgrew them. Great for a mild stock bottom ended 5.0L, but I don't think they would give me what I want in a 347. I am sure if I went with some better heads in the first place, it would have been faster in the long run, but then again, the savings on the heads made a huge difference. Remember, you can swap stock heads for ported stock heads and make no other changes.

I have TFS TW heads with the Trackhead springs built and ready to go on, but they arn't going on like that, they will be ported soon, unless I sell them. I paid $975 for the rebult heads, Crane 1.6 Energizer shaftmount RR's, and TFS pushrods.

I'll say this for like the 50th time. It's a waste of time, money and perfectly good gaskets.
It's funny, i've seen more unported e7 car in the 12's than i have that have them ported.

$600 is too much to invest and not be in the 12's, that's only $200 less than what a set of used edelbrocks, or gt40x's go for.

Ok, so heads are how many parts of a combo? It takes more than power to get a car down the track. I would never name one part of a car and say that it is the reason the car ran that ET. You could build one hell of a motor, and then get you ass busted by a car with a stock engine, and I've seen it happen way too many times. Say you get the heads ported and save a good $700-800, and put that money into suspension so you can actually plant that power, would that make sense? I really wonder about these guys that spend thousands and thousands on their engine, but yet have tires that arn't suitable for even most daily drivers and blown out shocks, and worn out suspension. They always credit the traction loss to the power they make, but dont' have a clue on how cars with twice their power dead hook.

I'll say this, if I were to do it again, I would have gotten aftermarket alumimum heads instead, but I dont' think ported heads were a mistake either.

I'll say this, if I were to do it again, I would have gotten aftermarket alumimum heads instead, but I dont' think ported heads were a mistake either.

I've never said that I thought ported stock heads were what everyone needed. And I don't believe I have ever said any combo anyone was running was Stupid either.

90mustangGT,
I agree with what your saying. We both agree that stock heads are one of the better bangs for the buck. But that if trying to build a better combo it probably would start with with a better set of heads than stock ported ones in the beginning, especially since we both have experienced what can be ran... with those types of heads. I want something I can drive everyday, reliable....and if I want I can turn it up and be able to outrun your average LS1 (stocker anyway).

Don't rely on strictly ET track times to make the decision. Look at the mph, because on the street you will not have the benefit of slicks. A car that runs 12.50 at the track on slicks with low hp, could very likely get whooped on the street.

Your ET is the product of a complete combination of parts, not just heads.

IMO its only worth it to run iron heads if you can get a screaming deal on em used and port them yourself, its pretty hard to mess up these iron heads cause they suck so bad from the factory, its fun also, i got a set of used heads with super low miles since rebuilt with good TFS springs and a decent valve job for 100$, i'll pull out the valves port them myself and my lower intake, and gain like 40HP for maybe 500$ with tools and gaskets! plus its fun to have a car THAT LOOKS STOCK, and runs like a ape! plus passing smog super easy cause your car looks stock is sweeet....nothing like a dead stock looking stang with ported stock stuff and spray running 10's and there are more than a few cars out there with ported E7TE heads and blowers that run 10's consistent.....and a ten second car on the street will absolutely rip your eyes out fast, my friends 10 second ls1 burns out on the freeway eazzzy and absolutely ruins 600cc sportbikes in any situation. that will be more than enough for me......

Ported stock heads = small port volumes and high port velocities = lots of kick for a street car.

When you come out of the drive through lane at the toll both doing 35 MPH in 3'rd at 2000 RPM and want the opening in traffic that's closing quickly, stand on it. Do that with an aluminum head with big port volumes and big valves, and you had either better be prepared to downshift to get the revs up or wait for the car accelerate up to 3500 RPM where the big heads start to make more torque. The aluminum heads with the big ports and big valves will make more power, but the power band has shifted upward. This means you have to choose your gear carefully or wait for the car to get up to speed. On a car with 3.55’s, an aluminum head with the big ports and big valves will make it necessary to downshift into second to get 3000 RPM and you’ll soon have second gear wound up past 65MPH speed limit and need to shift again. It’s all in what you want to do with the car and how you drive it. Thumper heads will be a better choice for an everyday driver unless you like to downshift a lot and wind the engine up.

If I wanted to build an engine with aluminum head with the big ports and big valves and not have to wind it up and then do a lot of downshifting to keep it in the power band, I would choose a stroker. A 331 or 347 or better would be the choice since the extra stroke increases the flow velocity and provides more torque at lower RPM’s as well.

http://hometown.aol.com/valakoraceheads/page11.html sells a DVD on how to port E7 heads correctly for $49.95.I know it`s pricey,but maybe theres a copy or two on e-bay.

Is it worth porting stock heads?It depends.
If you`re paying a head porter big money to do it,I`d say no.If you can do it yourself correctly and effectively yes.

Paying a shop big money to port stock heads these days IMO is a waste when you can find used aluminum heads for a little more that have more potential than ported stock heads.

As far as stock E7 heads go,you`re probably better off using/porting cast iron GT-40 or GT-40P heads as they flow better stock than E7`s.

jrichker said:
Ported stock heads = small port volumes and high port velocities = lots of kick for a street car.

When you come out of the drive through lane at the toll both doing 35 MPH in 3'rd at 2000 RPM and want the opening in traffic that's closing quickly, stand on it. Do that with an aluminum head with big port volumes and big valves, and you had either better be prepared to downshift to get the revs up or wait for the car accelerate up to 3500 RPM where the big heads start to make more torque. The aluminum heads with the big ports and big valves will make more power, but the power band has shifted upward. This means you have to choose your gear carefully or wait for the car to get up to speed. On a car with 3.55’s, an aluminum head with the big ports and big valves will make it necessary to downshift into second to get 3000 RPM and you’ll soon have second gear wound up past 65MPH speed limit and need to shift again. It’s all in what you want to do with the car and how you drive it. Thumper heads will be a better choice for an everyday driver unless you like to downshift a lot and wind the engine up.

If I wanted to build an engine with aluminum head with the big ports and big valves and not have to wind it up and then do a lot of downshifting to keep it in the power band, I would choose a stroker. A 331 or 347 or better would be the choice since the extra stroke increases the flow velocity and provides more torque at lower RPM’s as well.
:Word:

I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with 1.94/1.60 valves on a 302 anyway! I'll bet my 5.0 with ported 351W heads (and stock valves) will put a whippin' on most peoples' aluminum headed 306. It might not be the absolutley fastest car out there, but that's not my mission. All I'm out for is to have something that will scare me, be pretty fast, and roast the tires with little effort. I COULD build a 450hp iron-headed 331 and add a 150 shot, and hide it all under the stock valvecovers, but that just wouldn't be nice, would it? :D

People underestimate the power-making and money saving possibilites of ported stockers. I got the heads with the car, all the materials to port with will set me back about $75, and they don't need much machine work. Out the door for $500, and capable of supporting 475hp sounds pretty good to me :D

2000xp8 said:
Don't rely on strictly ET track times to make the decision. Look at the mph, because on the street you will not have the benefit of slicks. A car that runs 12.50 at the track on slicks with low hp, could very likely get whooped on the street.

Your ET is the product of a complete combination of parts, not just heads.

My unported E7s gave me 107-108 traps with a stock cam, and stock bottem end, the way I run it on the street!:D My car has a great street feel to it, because it makes really good low end power and torque where a car with bigger heads, and cam makes better power up top, but not as much down low! I am not saying stock heads are great, or even good, basically any aftermarket head is a better choice, but to say waste of time, you have to see what the guy wants and what can be done. Im confident my car could run in the low 12s and trap 110 (I have seen it many times before) on E7s, and for a LOT of people that is plenty fast!

I just have to stick up for the little guy every once in a while!

25thmustang said:
My unported E7s gave me 107-108 traps with a stock cam, and stock bottem end, the way I run it on the street!:D My car has a great street feel to it, because it makes really good low end power and torque where a car with bigger heads, and cam makes better power up top, but not as much down low! I am not saying stock heads are great, or even good, basically any aftermarket head is a better choice, but to say waste of time, you have to see what the guy wants and what can be done. Im confident my car could run in the low 12s and trap 110 (I have seen it many times before) on E7s, and for a LOT of people that is plenty fast!

I just have to stick up for the little guy every once in a while!
25th, we all know about your car and that it runs great, but i feel it gives others false hopes. Even putting together the identical combination on another car likely wouldn't produce the same great results.

Consider that i've seen a gt40x, e cam, gt40 intake combo go 11.87. It's really more like a 12.50 combo. Sometimes results can't be explained easily, nor can they be duplicated.

Stock heads are like playing a long shot, one that has payed off for you. Nice aftermarket aluminum heads are a sure thing.