is my fuel pump craping out?

CDQICKGT

Jan 25, 2006
fort hood, tx
When i turn the key it primes fine and starts right up with 38l# of pressure. when driving it hard it feels like is short on some HP though. When i turn the engine off the pressure is back down to 0# before i can hop out of the car and check the guage.

• Sponsors (?)

Also it's been whining really loud from time to time.

Funny that "crapping" takes two pees midway isn't it?

My very noisy fuel pump started quitting on me when hot. Twice. It would lose power and then quit. Cool off a minute and reprime and run for about two minutes. Next day it would run fine. Was noisy for months. 2 Mechanics said it was okay.

I had it changed anyhow and it was the original 86 Ford pump for pete's sake. This one is quiet as a mouse. Can't even hear it prime. They don't run worth a hoot without gas.

It might be. My old fuel pump started to get really loud, then suddenly it got really quiet, and then it completely failed. Got a new Ford fuel pump and it's really quiet, I can barely hear it.

Well guess we were all right. On the way home from work, grabed 4th gear, gave it dime gas and.........burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (backfire, backfire) burrrrrrr. Checked the fuel pressure, at idle 33#'s ... Even think about touching the throttle and it drops to 3-5#'s.

A walbro pump (walbro makes almost all other brands, but is cheaper without a big name on it) is only like $75.
When in doubt, just change it for peace of mind.