Is my fuel pump going bad??

Steeda90GT

Founding Member
Aug 8, 2002
Central Jersey
I just started my car up and it stalled. When I turned the key again I noticed I was only getting like 13 PSI of fuel pressure (very weak) So I went to the trunk and pushed the fuel cut off switch in the back. Went back into the car, turned the key and it primed up to 50 PSI (as normal) and fired right up. Then it started to cut out and fuel pressure dropped then eventually the car stalled out.

So I went back out and pushed the button again in the trunk, this time it seemed ok. Anyways I noticed I had a tad less than 1/8 tank of gas, and my car was on a slight hill so I proceeded to fill my car up with aamoco ultimate gasoline. I drove around for 10 minutes and stopped/started the car three times (each time it was ok) One thing I notice now is when I romp on it, pressure will jump up to 60 PSI (as normal) but then fall straight down to 30-40 PSI...

I don't get it, what's going on? I'm going on a hot date and I dont this thing breaking down on me... I also notice that when I prime the fuel pump(s) it doesn't sound as strong as it usually does...

• Sponsors (?)

could be the pump. i had something similar like that happen to me. except my moving pressure wasnt as bad. i just bit the bullet and got a 190 lph fuel pump. it solved that problem. but if your pump is stock then iw ouldn't doubt it. i am going to replace my friends pump on his 94GT this x-mas.

oh ****. didnt see that. then i dont know. i always hear good things about the T-Rex so i dont know. I havent looked on teh Corral for your post, but if it isnt there i would make one. i always get better tech support from them. which is weird b/c it is all teh same basic people. :shrug: