is my hood gonna fly off?!

• Sponsors (?)

i dont really like hood pins but if u get the good looking ones with the cables they can be ok but they are a must on fiberglass hoods i had a fiberglass hood open on me 3 time. once in a 87 camaro doing 35 then again in the same car doing 40 then in my bronco 3 in cowl doing 85mph but i was so use to it i stuck my head right out the window but it messes everything up my windsheild trim and dented the roof pluss messes the hood up. what happened was the metal for the latch that was made into the fiberglass broke out.

IN CONCLUSION IF YOU VALUE YOU DENT FREE ROOF AND PAINT AND WINDESHEILD SPRING UP FOR THE SAY AT HIGH END 30 BUCK HOOD PINS.
no pins lots of damage eventually :notnice:
dan

Get The Hood Pins Right Away!!!! Take It From Me. I Have Had My Cobra R Hood Fly Through The Windshield And Cave In The Roof Twice. The First Time Was At 75 Mph, No Hood Pins, Right Through The Windshield And Roof. Second Time, At The Track...nitrous Backfire Through The Manifold, Blew The Manifold Off, Ripped The Hood Pins Out Of The Core Support, 120mph Hood Through The Windshield And Through The Roof! Very Costly, Scarry, And Messy!

In theory, the hood stoppers should be adjusted to apply a small amount of pressure to the hood when it's closed. That "should" keep the hood from wiggling at speed. Of course, that won't prevent the latch from ripping out. Here's Cervini's (maker of the Stalker kit) installation instructions for their hoods:

http://www.cervinis.com/images/instructions/101,102.pdf

91LX_5L said:
yea im not really a fan of hood pins, anyone got pics of them?

9R.jpg

I have an aftermarket with no pins and have had it up to 130 mph with no problem. It just depends on how the hood is set up where the latch is. You can tell pretty easily while installing it how well it will hold. If you would rather be safe go with the pins. I hate the look though, so I opted to leave them off.

its seems like a lot of people claim not to have problems with higher quality hoods like the cervini's and ford (which are really h.o. fibertrends). is this true? maybe it has to do with the metal around the latch area on the hood