Is My Main Bearings Within Specs?

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
I have a stock 302 block with a stock crank and standard size bearings. I checked the bearing clearance with the green plastic gauge and it is .002 is that within specs?

107kyeh.jpg

1kzuv.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I think .0004 is pretty tight. When i put my motor together, i used a few different resources for specs. Mains were recommended to be .002-.003 (some say .0025-.003). Rod bearings .002 to .003. I am not an engine builder, or have any formal training, but those specs have worked out well so far. Rick may chime in if he is lurking around.

Joe

i go by the rule .001 per inch of journal diameter. if it were a cleveland or windsor main i would want more like .003 for the cleveland and about .0005 more for a windsor. but on a 2.25 302 main, id let .002 eat if its just gonna be a street motor. id like to see .0025, but i dont think you are going to get into ten thousandths increments with plastigauge.

I think .0004 is pretty tight. When i put my motor together, i used a few different resources for specs. Mains were recommended to be .002-.003 (some say .0025-.003). Rod bearings .002 to .003. I am not an engine builder, or have any formal training, but those specs have worked out well so far. Rick may chime in if he is lurking around.

Joe

He asked for the OEM specs, I was not agreeing or disagreeing with them. Engine building is one of the few things I won't do on a car - internal auto trans is the other. I write a check and drop a block off at the machine shop, they handle the rest. Their parts, their machine work, their specs, their gaskets - their problem if something happens.

Actually that crack is in the crank and it looks like it's on the verge of a catastrophic failure.
Regardless of where the crack is,...OP doesn't seem too concerned that he has an engine w/ such a devastating canyon running through it that will potentially break into two, ballistic chunks of 200+degree farenheit metal, flying apart at 7000 RPM...

I think, hope anyways, that all the posts made in reference to the crack were just a joke. It did require a double take when i first saw it.

Joe

i go by the rule .001 per inch of journal diameter. if it were a cleveland or windsor main i would want more like .003 for the cleveland and about .0005 more for a windsor. but on a 2.25 302 main, id let .002 eat if its just gonna be a street motor. id like to see .0025, but i dont think you are going to get into ten thousandths increments with plastigauge.

Agreed....Id let .002" eat all day in stock style motor with no problems at all. You should find a similar clearance on the rod journals....

Depends on what piston you have....stock could be 1.5mm 1.5mm 3mm or 1/16 1/16 5/64 off top of my head.

The rings are marked and usually have a bevel that goes down depending on run Manx. The top ring is generally harder then the softer second ring....the oil ring is 3 pieces.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

The pistons are stock. Yes, the top ring is harder than the second ring. Both compression rings have dots on them, and should both dots of rings be facing up when they are installed?