Is pop culture killing us?

• Sponsors (?)

Garbage in......garbage out.........can't be said too many times.

I remember my parents telling me that when Elvis hit the scene, many many people thought he was dragging people to hell with his lyrics and moves on stage.

I just wonder about music nowdays since we have introduced violence, hatred, and pretty much all things negative. Elvis was just politically incorrect in his time, but not abusive or hate-filled. I'm frankly surprised that we don't have many more school bombings/shootings and gang related massacres.

Nice people are simply a very difficult thing to find anymore. Manners, chivalry, and respect for others are a true rarity. I'm only in my mid-30s and I am beginning to feel even older, because I see how these honorable traits are just falling to the wayside being replaced by violence, road rage, hatred, and a general disgust for those around you.

The happiest and most content people I've ever met are some of the poorest people in 3rd world countries.

How many more things can pop culture create that we don't need, but will waste our every dime on? So many things peope just can't live without, but they can live with family neglect, massive debt, and their new iPhone. :)

The happiest and most content people I've ever met are some of the poorest people in 3rd world countries.

I couldn't agree more. I really think a lot of that is because they don't have the constant barrage of media, ads and contrived social standards being shoved down their throats like we do. There is nobody telling them what they want or what to do to be a part of the culture.

I couldn't agree more. I really think a lot of that is because they don't have the constant barrage of media, ads and contrived social standards being shoved down their throats like we do. There is nobody telling them what they want or what to do to be a part of the culture.

Yep.

One of my favorite things while traveling to 3rd world countries is the aspect of time. Time doesn't mean a whole lot. People don't get bothered by time, being late, being early, and all that stuff that our lives are fundamentally designed around. Nobody told them they were poor. Most would tell you that lots of money only brings lots of problems and stress. I got to live like this for a few months and it sure was eye opening to come back to the U.S. and adjust to normal life.

IF you ask me, we are the poor ones.

I like rap, Mostly the beat cuz they do say stupid stuff. I however dont wear the bling bling, the pink bright shoes and **** like that. I still dress like a mexican :lol:
Oh yeah I only listen to the single that are out cuz thats the only good one that bring girls to the partys lol!

Wow, I just looked up emo on the urban dictionary. I kinda wish I hadnt. :lol:

Anyone have kids? What's up with that Hip hop Harry character?

Totally agreed. So much different. And yes, we ARE the poor one's. Way out in the hills of Mexico, I gained a whole new outlook on life. I encourage those that have never been and seen places like this and what it's like to live there .... go ... you will see what it's like to really appreciate things.

JT, if wikipedia or urban dictionary doesn't tell ya' .... you probably DON'T want to know, lol.

EDIT: Ironically, I just noticed the lyrics in that last link in the 1st post .... talks about a Mustang. :bang:

Once i went to Auto Zone and all employees where spanish and black , well when radio played "party like a rock star " every person who worked at store start dancing. Some people like that crap but not me.

Totally agreed. So much different. And yes, we ARE the poor one's. Way out in the hills of Mexico, I gained a whole new outlook on life. I encourage those that have never been and seen places like this and what it's like to live there .... go ... you will see what it's like to really appreciate things.

I like what IIRC Thomas Jefferson said- to understand what it means to be an American you must see it...not exactly but the gist of the quote off the top of my head.

After my first 1/5-2yrs in college I had a chance to travel across the country, mostly the west. Spent a LOT of time in some of the most secluded and un-populated areas of this nation. Talk about getting away and REALLY seeing what you want/need vs. what you desire. One of the biggest reasons I jumped at the chance, my mom did the same thing with one of her sisters, in a 67-69 camaro rs or ss no less, and said GO. This coming from my mother 1mo into kemo/radiation for cancer and in the beginning of a divorce and myself just getting over the worst part of working 40hrs a week going to school more than full time and getting off the meds for the broken back I suffered.

You get to see what people not too long ago had to live with and threw just to exist. Also seeing the calming nature of nature and lack of "stuff".

I like the idea of this thread. I also wish that far more people felt the way many of you do. As I glanced through this thread I found that many of you have similar sentiments toward current society as myself.

The part that concerns me the most, however, is where society will go next. If you compare the values and integrity our society had 50 or 60 years ago, to now, it's a joke. How much worse will it get? How much more rapidly will it happen?

Sure you can say in one ear and out the other...but for how long :shrug: It won't be long until the comical and facade items we shake our heads at today turn into a complete and utter lack of respect for life. How long until it's another high school or college shooting and that thing going in one ear and out the other is a bullet :eek:
- Justin

I like the idea of this thread. I also wish that far more people felt the way many of you do. As I glanced through this thread I found that many of you have similar sentiments toward current society as myself.

The part that concerns me the most, however, is where society will go next. If you compare the values and integrity our society had 50 or 60 years ago, to now, it's a joke. How much worse will it get? How much more rapidly will it happen?

Sure you can say in one ear and out the other...but for how long :shrug: It won't be long until the comical and facade items we shake our heads at today turn into a complete and utter lack of respect for life. How long until it's another high school or college shooting and that thing going in one ear and out the other is a bullet :eek:
- Justin

True but you cant blame it on the music. I wasn't born yet but weren't hippies contreversal to? What about the drug years?? When heavy metal was on top??

True but you cant blame it on the music. I wasn't born yet but weren't hippies contreversal to? What about the drug years?? When heavy metal was on top??

The point isn't that the music causes it, it's that the music represents the ideas of what is already out there and people pick up on it, then are effected by it, in turn changing the music more. It's more of a cycle of cause and effect, like the chicken and the egg. Which came first? It's more of an evolution of ideals I can't seem to figure out, but the music plays some part in the whole process.

And don't get me started on hippies. The controversy with them stems from more than drug use, it's their utter refusal to contribute positively to society by leeching off others and blatant disrespect for their country.

People don't need to see through the crap in our culture and see what this country really has to offer sometimes. This is where I go into a rage over American America haters but I have to refrain. I have a friend who came here from Serbia who can give you a real perspective on why he will never leave this country.

The world will stumble into another "dark age" at some time...the question is...will it be during OUR time.

I dont totally feel its just our nation but a lot of other's as well. This nation is the best out there if only for the simple fact if you dont like something you can at least TRY and change it. You may not successfully 100% cause a change but at least you can try.