Is Skateboarding a violent crime?

• Sponsors (?)

The problem with skaters like this is they have no respect for anyone, even themselves. If you look back at the start of skating, and then when it really got popular in the late 80's you almost never saw this type of stuff.
Look back at any of the old videos from Powell or Santa cruz, you see the "skateboarding isn't a crime" stickers and the occasional jab and laugh at cops, but you never saw anything like this. At least back then kids still had some respect, or at least knew their parents would kill them if they acted this way.
I was big into skating, had a half pipe in my back yard, ran from the cops at Wallows if they showed up (in Hawaii), broke out a few store windows by accident when I wiped out, grinded down many a curb, bench, wall,,, but I never acted like that.
Now I'm on the other side and work as a Deputy. I think the officer went over board at first, but once he arrested that first kid, the others should have just did what he asked and left. Or at least stayed back to let him do his investigation.
Heres what I do: I ask the kids if they can name 4 former Powell Peralta skaters (not Tony), or if they know who Animal Chin is,,, if they answer correctly I let them skate, if they don't I kick them out and send them on a quest to find the answer.
L8tr Sk8r

The problem with skaters like this is they have no respect for anyone, even themselves. If you look back at the start of skating, and then when it really got popular in the late 80's you almost never saw this type of stuff.
Look back at any of the old videos from Powell or Santa cruz, you see the "skateboarding isn't a crime" stickers and the occasional jab and laugh at cops, but you never saw anything like this. At least back then kids still had some respect, or at least knew their parents would kill them if they acted this way.
I was big into skating, had a half pipe in my back yard, ran from the cops at Wallows if they showed up (in Hawaii), broke out a few store windows by accident when I wiped out, grinded down many a curb, bench, wall,,, but I never acted like that.
Now I'm on the other side and work as a Deputy. I think the officer went over board at first, but once he arrested that first kid, the others should have just did what he asked and left. Or at least stayed back to let him do his investigation.
Heres what I do: I ask the kids if they can name 4 former Powell Peralta skaters (not Tony), or if they know who Animal Chin is,,, if they answer correctly I let them skate, if they don't I kick them out and send them on a quest to find the answer.
L8tr Sk8r

There needs to be more open minded Officers like you. Its just sad that kids in general (not just skaters) are so disrespectful these days. i have seen several talk down to thier parents, and that made ME want to go beat the kid myself to teach them a lesson. I just turned 30 this year, so ive seen what skating was, and what it has evolved into. Its depressing honestly.

I agree with what Chris Rock says.. There are only a few times a kid needs to be beaten to within an inch of his life: lying, cheating, stealing, and disrespecting.

I want my daughter to grow up and have a great time in life, while keeping in the boundaries of acting like a civilized human being. If shes talking to an adult, and i dont hear her say "yes ma'am, or yes sir", i dont stop the conversation, i just look at her, and she quickly remembers her manners. Manners can go a long way in life.

anybody recognize the city they were in? hot springs arkansas. if you have ever been there you would quickly realize how the police are. it seems they are all on power trips.

down town hot springs is no place to skate though. its way to busy with traffic and people.

I will say kids have NO respect these days. I would have never opened my mouth to an elder when I was 13. I would be too scared, and I am only 22. I guess it's all about how you are raised.

Agreed

iI was raised the same way. If I take a girl out I get the car door for her, pull her seat out, and such. I hold doors for people coming and going to places, I rarely if ever use foul language when I am around older people who aren't using it themselves. I see 12-14 year old kids swearing and telling people to F off and it amazes me. I did not grow up in a bad, abusive, or even strict house, I grew up with parents who taught me well, and gave me enough things to keep me happy, but not spoil me to the point where I think I am someone who deserves to be treated like a king.

Same here.

Both kids and cop acted inappropriately.

i agree but there was no need for him to put that chick into a head lock...i don't care if its 1 cop on the 5 or 6 kids there.....no need for that...his life was not in danger...he acted like it was... and cops do profile people who skateboard no matter what there doing weather there sitting around or putting down the road....

on another note..i was hoping one of those kids would take his taser gun and taser the cop :rlaugh:

I'm like 25th, but I was heavly into skating, and very good at it, I just didn't fit in w/ all the others... I'm too "redneck" lol.

the kids were *******s.
the cop was an *******.
End of story.

if I was a cop and i told one of them to stop, even if it was to just warn them or tell them to be safe, and they didn't stop, those asshats would catch immortal hell.

Lol you sound just like me except I never got real good. I was just too big of a redneck to fit in either lol.