Is the stock hood safety catch not enough?

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
I bought a fiberglass hood from a company that went out of business a while back.. there were only a few made, and the last thing i want to do is have this hood fly up and get smashed considering i wont ever be able to get another one.

My question is, are the stock safety catches not enough to hold the hood.? I dont mean the hood release, im talking about the "J" shaped safety latch thats on the hood itself. I believe i have enough meat under the hood to remount it.

The main reason is i dont want hood pins is i dont want it to take away from the look of the hood. Ill end up with 1 or the other (hood pins or stock safety catch)

Any recommendations?

• Sponsors (?)

It's saved me on the highway when the release latch let go. I know a lot of people remove the J-hook and end up regretting it!

I see that in alot of these "my hood flew up" threads. I figure if i can retain the stock latch or fabricate something similar, id be ok. I just dont know if i should get pins regardless.

Wouldn't hurt, but the only way the J-catch isn't going to save you is if it rips through the fiberglass or isn't aligned properly and slips off the catching mechanism. Otherwise you're safe because it's not going to rip through the catching mechanism.

can you fit those small hood pins that don't stick out as much? Don't know what they're called???

Well i was thinking about getting the ones that dont have the actual "pins" but the ones that use a key / lock mechanism so it sits a little more flush. i might have to talk to some people at the track and see how they did thiers also..

Definitely get pins and keep the factory latch as well. I had a hood fly OFF once...luckily for me it didn't hit the car. I was using only pins, and the hood somehow came unbolted...once the wind caught it, the pins just snapped like twigs and the hood went flying. I'm actually thinking about using them with my stock hood too because it's so light that it jumps all over the place towards the end of the track.

Get pins. I'm an Auto Damage Appraiser for an insurance company. I get claims like these all the time. The factory safety latches tend to tear out of fiberglass hoods. I'd get the pins & keep the safety latch for added insurance.

You could get the 1968 Shelby style hood pins. They twisted on & fit more flush with the hood.

68ford29940-4.jpg

C8ZZ-16C896-A.jpg

You could get the 1968 Shelby style hood pins. They twisted on & fit more flush with the hood.

68ford29940-4.jpg

C8ZZ-16C896-A.jpg

Cool, thakns for the info... I think im just retarded in the sense that i want pins without the pin look lol... My hood is already kinda insane looking, and i think that pins might take it a little too far.

But its good to know im not stuck with 1 type of pin now... Thanks!