Is the way the stock rev limiter works bad?

nito88stang

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
Fullerton, California
Well i know the stock rev limiter works by cutting fuel. Is this hazardous and can it create a dangerous lean condition? I know cutting spark the way an aftermarket ignition system is best, but is the stock eec way of doin it a ticking bomb?

The reason i ask is because i can get my hands on a msd 6a cheap, but i am wanting to hold out for a 6al for this very reason. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i would not want to bounce off the fuel cut too often. it is supposed to be somewhat soft in how it cuts each cylinder, but i would not take a chance myself.

my two cents. :)

yea, i dont plan on bouncing off the limiter. Its just that if finally gave my new motor some WOT runs and it absolutely amazed me how fast the revs climb. So i started thinking that at the track i might not be as attentive to the tach and might slip so i want some insurance.

Supposedly the stock limiter causes the thin film of oil on the cylinder walls to burn up and causes premature piston/cylinder wear. We all need to get a grip- how often do you hit the limiter? I almost never do.

QDRHRSE said:
Supposedly the stock limiter causes the thin film of oil on the cylinder walls to burn up and causes premature piston/cylinder wear. We all need to get a grip- how often do you hit the limiter? I almost never do.

Hopefully no one hits it... but it happens. On a N/A car, you'll live to do it again. It's when you start tossing nitrous or boost into the mix that it'll really hurt ya. Hitting the stock limiter at WOT @ full boost is not my idea of a great afternoon.

I hit mine twice I think last weekend. :D (Autoxing no need to shift before turn about to brake hard anyhow) Anyhow slightly :OT: But how much does the stock tach suck for not finding the rev limiter? I spun the tach to 7.5 (well the stock tach only goes to 7k but the needle went past it!) twice! in 2nd gear and couldn't find the limiter there when I thought I should be hitting it. (I looked at the tach right before slamming on the brakes because I was thinking to myself damn I didn't think 2nd was that steep) Thoughts?

I need to get a msd box too myself there kind of pricey thou aren't they? considering this is all I really need it for right now...

Why did Ford choose to cut the fuel instead of the spark anyway? Cutting fuel = lean and dangerous mixture, Cuttin spark = rich and safe mixture. Yeah, it's not like people are bouncing off the rev limiter everytime they drive, but why choose a more unsafe way to keep the engine from over-revving? Sometimes it's kinda fun to just mash the throttle and listen to hear "bum-bum-bum-bum-bum" for a couple seconds.
I like the look on a friends face and when they say "Your gonna blow it". LOL
We aren't ricers though, who drive around boucing off the limiter like they are cool.

Labora said:
Anyhow slightly :OT: But how much does the stock tach suck for not finding the rev limiter? I spun the tach to 7.5 (well the stock tach only goes to 7k but the needle went past it!) twice! in 2nd gear and couldn't find the limiter there when I thought I should be hitting it. (I looked at the tach right before slamming on the brakes because I was thinking to myself damn I didn't think 2nd was that steep) Thoughts?

Apparently real crappy, or else my car doesn't have a limiter. When I was modifying my throttle body and intake setup I accidentally got the throttle stuck wide open. When I cranked the car it instantly wound out to 7k!! :eek: :doh: :eek: :jaw: :bang: But it never hit a limiter. :shrug:

I have been to 7000 rpm on the stock tach many times. These things are just way off. Thats prolly 6 grand. Just going by ear. Its dead on at idle up to 3000, I have a shop tach and have compared the two in that range. :shrug: I have never hit the rev limiter.

jerry beach said:
I have been to 7000 rpm on the stock tach many times. These things are just way off. Thats prolly 6 grand. Just going by ear. Its dead on at idle up to 3000, I have a shop tach and have compared the two in that range. :shrug: I have never hit the rev limiter.

Thats good to hear that the stock tach is way off I don't have a aftermarket one to compare it too. I've found the limiter in 1st a few times but not 2nd? :shrug:

Anyhow to get back on topic what are the benfits of a MSD box on car with a few bolt ons? :shrug:

Labora said:
Thats good to hear that the stock tach is way off I don't have a aftermarket one to compare it too. I've found the limiter in 1st a few times but not 2nd? :shrug:

Anyhow to get back on topic what are the benfits of a MSD box on car with a few bolt ons? :shrug:
as Jerry said, the stocker is off by a percentage - the higher you rev, the more it can be off.

generally speaking, a box will give you a more powerful spark (and multiple sparks), along with some options for racing type stuff (2 stage limiters, boost retard ability, etc).

the stock TFI ignition (IMHO) is very powerful. i believe it is good for 300 horses pretty easily - ive read more, but that seems to be a good number that is agreed upon.

Yeah you want an MSD 6AL. The factory rev limit method of randomly cutting out fuel injectors makes tree-huggers happy by not passing unburned fuel (plugs always fire) but the fuel vapor doesn't get depleted from the ports instantly. Result, the engine continues to spin past the limit before getting choked back by severe detonation.