Is there a big differnce in 4.10s and 3.73's

• Sponsors (?)

tontot77 said:
agreed... but when you run out of gear at the end of the 1/4 mile and end up in 5th... and you're running slicks... do you... a) stick bigger tires on! b) go to a lower gear
I'll take "A" for $1,000 Alex!

jeopardy_alex2.jpe

wow, why does the autp cruise at higher rpm's ? its a 4 speed right?

@ 2.5k rpms im at 82 mph in 5th gear.

Just curious, why would you want an auto for a sports car? i'm not trying to bag on anyone, im just curious. But then again i have always driven a stick...

if you plan to stay N/A buy the 4.10's like everyone else says.

I have 3.73's in mine and if i wasnt going to buy an s/c soon i would have taken these out and bought a set of 4.10's.

The consensus is N/A doesnt matter on an automatic. automatics with s/c are fine with 4.10s. NO traction issues in 4.10 or stock with an automatic

your not going to gain anything with 4.10's unless you have a sticky tire. Either gear is fine for daily driving, so thats not the issue. People even go as low as 4.30's for daily driving on a 2v and are fine, but they use a sticky tire at the track. Bill Putnam was the first bolt on 2v in the 12's and ran 4.30's for years on his daily driver.

My times are in my sig. That is with 3.73's and 264rwhp on 275/40 nitto drag radials with a 1.86 60 foot. I might have picked up .05-.01 in the quarter with 4.10's bc i shifted before the traps into 4th gear with 3.73's and was slightly out of my powerband. Not a whole lot of ET IMO. However, you will see a bigger difference in ET with 4.10's once you get hooked up and start cutting some nice 60 foot times.

sry, Ill edit this b4 any body post....... Were talking auto here and Im talking 5 speed

I can tell you from stock to 3.73s I noticed a big difference in acceleration on my automatic. To me 4.10s would have been to much seeing as people cruise at around 75, 80 on the highways here. At 80 I'm at 2,900 RPM. I think 3.73s are a perfect all around gear.

really..3.73s to 4.10s is not that big of a differance...

I went with 3.73s becuase I didnt want to run too high of rpms on the highway...however If I ever did my gears again I would go with 4.30s to see if it makes a differance. Probably a couple tenths

One of the first mods I did to my car was add the 4.10's. I was really on the fence back then but was glad afterwards.

Since then with the latest addition of a s/c, 4.10's is pushing it. It's a joke on the street with my street tire. 1st is useless in spirited driving.

At the strip it is a double edged sword. I had challenges with my launch on BFGoodrich drag radials. Couldn't get them to hook. I have since added skinnies to the front and MT Drag radials and WOW, what a difference. The time I got (see sig) is hugely attibuted to the tires, gear and the launch at 5500rpm. On the run that I ran an 11 I went for broke fully expecting to snap an axle but it hooked and I was able to shift it flawlessly the entire run.

Now the bad side, I going through the 1/4 mile traps at 6000+ rpm. I don't think it would take another 50'. So if I do anything else to my car I will be forced to scale the gears back. I will probably go back to 3.73 or 3.55.

If you plan on staying NA, go for the 4.10's. You won't regret it. As a couple of other people mentioned, I got worse gas mileage but it wasn't all the gear. The smile on my face is attached to the gas pedal. The farther down the pedal goes the wider my smile gets.....:D

My car is an automatic with newly installed 4.11 gears and I couldn't be more pleased. The gas milage is really up to my driving habbits, which is ususlly heavy footed. Your RPM's will increase somewhat, of course, but I seem to be doing around 2,600 to 2,800 at highway (that's a FREEWAY for you west coasters) which is not all that bad. I haven't had mine on a long trip since the gears so my attitude could change with expierience.

I did get my shift points adjusted (SCT II) when the gears were installed and it really does well I belive. I do have to be somewhat careful because with just a little bit of "spirited" acceleration it ******es 2nd really easy now.

EDIT: HAhaha see the line of ***** in the sentance above? it won't let me type "S N A T C H E S 2nd "..... Hmmm, something smells fishy!

With the auto, I would definitly go lower than 3.73...