Is there a break-in period for a new ring & pinion?

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine installed at a place called PSG in National City. I took them all of the parts, including gears, trac lock rebuild kit, and complete Richmond differential rebuild kit. I think they charged me $250 labor to install all of it.

Tony, I'll send you the number.

As soon as the guy finished installing my 3.73 I took my car straight out on the road in front of the shop and boiled the tires thru 1st & 2nd :shrug:
A few months later I got a thunderbird TC rearend with 3.55's. My dad is using the rearend now and he hasn't had any problems.

I dont think that was a very good idea. However, im glad you havent had any problems. Further research is indicating that there is a break-in period. Easy driving for 10 miles, cool for 30, and repeat at least 3 times. Then change fluid after 500 miles. Has anbody heard this?

The guy who put mine in has been installing gears for 39 years,I asked him the same question.He said by the time you get home(20 min. drive) they'll be broken in.But change the fluid at 500 miles!!

I have heard the story about driving easy for 10 or so miles, let it cool, then drive again and repeat 3 or so times.

I didn't follow this criteria when i installed my Motorsport 3.73's.

I had no problem with the gears for over a year, this includes regular strip use. but I did change the fluid at 500 miles.

I got rid of the gears because my girlfriend lives 30 miles from town and the gas mileage was killing me. Go figure, my girlfriend made me give up my gears.
But it was worth driving out every night and coming back at 3 in the morning happy. :D

Just my experience.

91Coupe said:
I dont think that was a very good idea. However, im glad you havent had any problems. Further research is indicating that there is a break-in period. Easy driving for 10 miles, cool for 30, and repeat at least 3 times. Then change fluid after 500 miles. Has anbody heard this?

That's what I was told by the guy that did mine minus changing the fluid at 500 miles. I've had no problems, they are vibration free past the speed limit.

91LX302 said:
That's what I was told by the guy that did mine minus changing the fluid at 500 miles. I've had no problems, they are vibration free past the speed limit.
That is what i was told also, but... i didn't listen when i have my 3.55 motive gears, and boy did they sing :D