Is there a difference in the 87 and 88+?

• Sponsors (?)

87 Colors

Black
Bright Regatta Blue Metallic
Dark Clove Metallic
Dark Gray Metallic
Dark Shadow Blue Metallic
Light Gray Medium Cabernet
Medium Shadow Blue Metallic
Medium Yellow
Oxford White
Sand Beige
Scarlet Red

88 Colors

Almond
Black
Bright Red
Bright Regatta Blue Metallic
Cabernet Red
Dark Gray Metallic Deep Shadow Blue Metallic
Light Gray
Medium Shadow Blue Metallic
Oxford White
Tropical Yellow

87's have speed density fuel injection instead of mass air flow fuel injection. They made a LITTLE more power in stock form (probably less than 5), but do not respond well to engine mods. You can convert them to mass air fuel injection for under $500 I think. Not exactly sure on the price, but it's not too difficult.

87's were available with T-tops, which the later ones weren't.

I beleive '87 non-GT 5.0's had the 4cyl seats, not the GT seats that came standard in all later (90+?) 5.0's.

Basically they are the same car. Same engine except the fuel injection, same tranny, rear end, and brakes. If you have been looking at 88+ cars, there's no reason not to look at 87's.

Anyone feel free to correct me if anything I said is wrong.

Jeff

As said, the 87's and 88's are close enough to being the same that it's not worth really sweating.

I'd scoop up a nice '87 myself.

Good luck.

Roland69 said:
87 and 88 are the same as 89 90 91 92 93 only they have mass air and the 87 88 and I think 89 don't have airbags.

When did they stop using forged pistons? I may be off on this, but didn't they switch to hypereutectic (did I spell that right? :D ) pistons before the end of the Fox run?

88 Fox GT said:
I've always heard 92 was last year for forged pistons. Hypers started in 93.

Late model year 92's were also hyperteutic. One way to tell in the 92's is if it has a gray oil pan, its has hypers. If it has a black oil pan, its got forged pistons.

Also, there were a FEW 88 t-top cars, which were just left over 87's.

sunil6784 said:
Late model year 92's were also hyperteutic. One way to tell in the 92's is if it has a gray oil pan, its has hypers. If it has a black oil pan, its got forged pistons.

Also, there were a FEW 88 t-top cars, which were just left over 87's.
Unless I'm having a bad day, that's backwards.

Grey = forged. Black = hypereutectics.