Is this a good deal?

85 Turbo Bird

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Sacramento, CA
So I'm in the market for a 67-68 coupe, as some of you may know, and I just went to look at a 68 coupe yesterday. It looks like it may be a good deal but I wanted to ask on here first!
Yay :SNSign:

So here's a link to some pictures of the car.

What I know of the car at this point is minimal but here goes
68 Coupe
302 Engine
Auto trans

The body is "rust free" according to the owner and looks pretty clean to me. I wasn't able to get into the cabin or the trunk so I couldn't check the inside of the car under the dash or the trunk floor. From underneath the car it looks solid as far as I can tell.

The engine "runs" but the radiator is cracked, the headers are cracked in a couple of tubes, it looks like there might be an oil leak (see passenger side 3/4 shot in the link) so I'm not sure how good the engine is, not that that truly matters but it'd be nice if it was driveable.

The hood, front and rear bumpers need to be replaced (it looks like it might have been in an accident). the Headliner needs to be replaced, as in it's not there. The front seats look like they need new covers, I'm not sure about the dash cover yet...

So down to the nitty gritty... the owner wants $2300 for the car (down from $3500 two weeks ago). Is this car worth that much? What do you all think. Is there anything else I should find out from the owner before I make and offer/buy?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated as I might be buying me a new car soon :D

And once again... I heart :SNSign:

Edit* now he's asking $2200....

• Sponsors (?)

I would look at that window a-pillar. Also you need to look at the floor pans. If everything checks out show him 1500 in 20s. Nothing like a nice wad of cash to get somebody to sell!

I think that is a stretch for NO RUST. You can clearly see in the drip rail pic, the welds to the left is a patch job. the bottom of the windshield, is a continuation of the rust problem. this WILL BE trouble. Are you a welder. fixing the drip rail and windshield pillar is MAJOR work. HARDER than the cowl repair. which this WILL need. I'd say 90% sure of that, with the rust showing! cowl repair would just be cut out spot welds and reinstall new. there's no patch for a pillar. that's nothing but TIME fixing it. And that is just that area.
After a blasting the car IS going to look WORSE than it does now! But, if you're a welder than the point is moot, and as for the engine running, I would highly doubt that. that looks like a ignition jumper wire into the cab to the starter solenoid? Definitely a PROJECT car.
That is also rust on the back panel by the lights. Usually the rust is by the gasket of the light where it leaks. That rust is off to the side,that panel touches the quarter. so if rust is on this panel, rust should be on that panel. that is SOME rust. ARE you a WELDER? Offer $1000 if it doesn't run.
I looked again at the windshield pillar area, and that's even WORSE the second time I looked at it. Just think of the repair. that's not just rust. That's a halfa** job of repair!!!! You've got to fix a bumm job, as well as the rust. As bad as that looks, I would say that pillar is going to be some work. So much rust, he couldn't fill ALL the gaps!!! Which is the WRONG way to fix this area. As bad as the metal looks, a patch as long as the pillar is in order???
ARE YOU A WELDER???

looking over it again. I agree with HHead. That A-pillar is some scarey looking stuff. Also another thing I noticed is that it looks like it has over heated a few times. You can see the rust water that sprayed everywhere on the hoses and the front of the block. It is def. a project car either way you look at it.

Um... Hhead to answer your question: No, I'm not a welder (yet) and, while I want to learn, I don't want it to be the only thing that I do on the car for the next few years ;)

I saw that A-pillar when I was there and questioned the integrity of it myself. And if I'm questioning it then there are serious questions :D also right around the base of the windshield was "interesting"

The radiator is cracked so I figured the coolant on the hood was from that...

Oh well, now I'm looking at a 67 that's in better condition plus has deluxe interior 8) We'll see if that one's still available.

Thanks for saving me from myself you guys :D