Is this a good idea for my 65 I6

Hi All,
I have a 65 convertible 200 I6 automatic. The engine seems to have a lot of blow by going on, oil boils out from one of the sparkplugs, smoke from the oil dipstick, if I don't take the sparkplugs out and clean them every 20 miles or so it runs very rough (especially after highway speeds) and forget going up a big hill at more than 20mph (and that was a struggle in low gear last night). A friend who built his factory 5 cobra and his buddy who runs a engine shop want to take the engine out, re-bore it, new valves and pistons, new ignition and I am not sure what else. They think that will do the trick. I just want the car to be a (fair weather) daily driver that will go up the big hills here at a reasonable speed and go on the highway at 65 or 70. Any thoughts on if this is the right thing to do? It will probably cost me about $1500. The car is in nice shape with no rust and clean interior, new top and paint. Any thoughts? :shrug: I value this forum's input. I worry my friends are a bit more "fast" than I am in my designs for this car.

TIA, ACS

• Sponsors (?)

I would say what it needs is new rings and valve seals...new pistons might not needed, depending on what the cylinders look like....its worth tearing down and measuring the bore before buying new pistons, a new ignition is a good idea, but not strictly needed...so on the cheap side I see $200 in parts...if you need new pistons(stock replacement pistons) maybe $500...another couple hundred in machine work, then of course labor....$1500 doesnt sound like a bad deal at all with new pistons, ignition and whatever else when you figure it includes removing the engine, rebuilding it, and re-installing it

do a leakdown first...although that wont tell you for sure whether its the valve seals or rings, it will at least let you know which cylinders are affected

I think I would have to agree with the others. My only concern would be that if the engine is showing that kind of trouble, the bottom end and internals are likely tired as well. Not sure if new pistons would be needed or not (check bore dim) but if $1500 is going to provide a strong rebuilt engine that doesn't sound too bad.

Just my 2 bits. If you are going to keep the car, spend a few extra bucks now for long term enjoyment.

Good luck.

It's a lot of money to sink into an engine that should probably be rebuilt from the ground up.

I'd hate to see you throw $1500 into it, only to have a bearing let go next summer.

It sounds like time for a complete rebuild. Stop by Ford Six Performance Home/Index This is a great site for all that is inline 6 cylinder Ford.
Find out which engine you have 170 c.i. or 200 c.i. On the 200 it is important to deck the head to make up the difference between the original Ford thin head gasket, and the thicker replacement gaskets available today. I can't remember if the 170 requires the same thing.

If you get the engine rebuilt with hardened valve seats, add a Pertronix II ignitor and take good care of the cooling system, it will go another 200K miles.
One other thing. If you have the original distributor, get it rebuilt. Even if you have to send it to someone. Do not swap it for a rebuilt piece of crap. Same with the carburetor. The rebuilt stuff out there is garbage.

Good luck!

Thanks

Thank you all for your input. I had the car up at the mechanic who has been familiar with it for a while. He thinks it is in good shape and just needs some proper tuning. I am going to let him try to get it right for me as he seems sure he can and we will see what happens from there. My thought is this is a good step before ripping things apart. Thanks again, ACS