Is this all i need for an engine rebuild?

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey guys ijust did a quick search and didnt find exactly what im looking for...

im doing a engine rebuild on my 5.0 and came across a kit that summit racing sells for like $180 bucks. it consists of piston rings, rod and main bearings, and a gasket kit. is this all iw ould really need for my rebuild?

im puting a new cam in the engine... is there anything else that i "really" need???

also how do you hone your cylinder walls?

• Sponsors (?)

ya im rebuilding my motor right now too some things to look for are make sure your cylinder walls look good, check your timing chain, i'm replacing the lifters and getting new freeze plugs in also, and another thing to look at doing while it is apart is taking your heads to a mac hine shop and having them do a tri-angle grind on your valves and they also should check all the parts to make sure they are good while they are there. you might want to also make sure that your crankshaft is still ok because if it is bad then your brand new bearings will not last long.

Whats the reason for your re-build?

I use the same kit through summit.
You'll need a couple tools, Engine assembly lube, etc.
that kit doesnt come with freeze plugs or cam bearings.

Id seend the block to a machine shop and have them do the hone and check for a ridge.
They'll also check your pistons and caps.

Just did the same type of budget rebuild and it cost about $800 Including a few tools.