is this an epidemic?

armyof1

Mar 30, 2005
what is up with all the overheating problems out there? heres my story. car ran great, the autometer was never past 180*. car went in the shop and now she runs at 210* or so all the time. when i sit at idle, she goes down to 190 or so. then on the street she goes right back up. never overheating, but i think that running at 210 only gives you 40 degrees till the danger zone. and thats not a lot of wiggle room. she has new t/stat. 180* (was thinking of putting in a 160*) before she went in the shop i put in new w/pump...rad...and hoses. cant quite figure it out. any ideas? thanks ed:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

shop might have for soem reason put a stock t-stat in thinking they were just replacing an old one. Thats what they did for me and ive been too lazy to get another one in there.

190-210 is normal. My fan turns on right when the autometers read 210 and it goes back down to 190.

If you have a 180 stat how could your car never go above 180??? With a 180 stat 180 is the lowest it should ever be because the stat will close any lower than that. Also the stock fans done even turn on until 212 degrees so you are doing fine. I have a 180 stat and im usualy around 185-192 degrees i have my fan temps lowered with my tweecer and it works great.

i understand the therm closing and opening. im saying that after she came home from the shop, she ran 40* hotter than when she went in, i pulled the therm and put in another new pstat 180* but she is still driving around w/ the temp at 75 mph at about 210* or so. i dont like it that high. and im just stumped at why its doing this all of a sudden, running so much different. 30 - 40* is very diff all other things being equal(except outside free air temp)(ie spring vs summer temps) it bothers me when i cant figure something this simple out is all. other than that she runs great. im putting a blowzilla on her after i get to my next duty station in kansas about march or so.:shrug: :flag: