Is this Cobra motor worth $1000?

onebad7up

Jun 21, 2004
Nashville
"95' Ford mustang cobra 5.0 motor.it has been rebuilt about a year ago.it has a big roller cam with a 498 lift.it has GT 40 heads with roller rockers.it has been bord 40 over with flat top pistons.the motor has about 9.01 compression.it has none of the fuel injection on it. asking $1000"

This is a listing from the local trader. I have a 1990 Convertible 5.0 and I was wondering if there were any differences between a 95 and 90 5.0 block. I am looking for something to just fit in.

Also, does this seem like a good deal? What other questions should I ask him about the setup?

• Sponsors (?)

Not really...and that lift is in no way big, my guess is the Ecam is resting inside. Alot of cash for an engine you can't confirm milage on...excellent chance to get hosed nicely in my opinion.

onebad7up said:
"95' Ford mustang cobra 5.0 motor.it has been rebuilt about a year ago.it has a big roller cam with a 498 lift.it has GT 40 heads with roller rockers.it has been bord 40 over with flat top pistons.the motor has about 9.01 compression.it has none of the fuel injection on it. asking $1000"

This is a listing from the local trader. I have a 1990 Convertible 5.0 and I was wondering if there were any differences between a 95 and 90 5.0 block. I am looking for something to just fit in.

Also, does this seem like a good deal? What other questions should I ask him about the setup?

A) Why is it 40 over... rebuilt twice?

B) They've all got 9:1 compression

C) All cobra motors from 93-95 have "GT 40 heads with roller rockers" and a "roller cam"

:shrug:

My buddy had that same motor but with 10:1 compression. That thing was a rocket. I have the same setup even with the 9:1 compression. And if by some chance, it was rebuilt with the same pistons that i put in my motor, it will have hypereutectic pistons in it. Its a possibility.

LOL.

Thanks for the info. This guy is trying to make it seem like he has something special.

"if you dont think that its worth that then check out the prices of the heads, rockers, and cam alone. thanks"

Likely you end up with a tired old motor needing a rebuild..or hey better yet if he's already lied I wouldn't be surprised if you end up owning a plain old E7 headed stock engine.