Is This Replaceable?

Undeadknight26

May 19, 2013
Florida
Hey guys! I'm kinda new to this car and well an accident happened last night when we were having some fun with the car and now the hood needs to be replaced and so do a few other parts...but this post is specifically for that piece between the hood and windshield and to the sides of the plastic wiper piece. That is not my car just a picture I found on google.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    859.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey guys! I'm kinda new to this car and well an accident happened last night when we were having some fun with the car and now the hood needs to be replaced and so do a few other parts...but this post is specifically for that piece between the hood and windshield and to the sides of the plastic wiper piece. That is not my car just a picture I found on google.
Replaceable.... Yes but not very easily. The cowl panel is spot welded into the car and serves as the upper portion of your firewall as well. You will need to employ a good body shop to make these repairs, this is all to common of these cars with aftermarket cowl hoods when no hood pins are used.

Reactions: 1 user
This exactly ^^^
This type of repair is not cheap and without seeing what you're working with it's hard to say one way or another.

If the damage is something like the pictures below and you don't have the skills necessary to fix them then your car is probably totaled.

A cowl I repaired on my previous t-top 5.0 from a hood flying up.
cowl damage.jpg
cowl repair 1.jpg
cowl repair.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
If the damage is something like the pictures below and you don't have the skills necessary to fix them then your car is probably totaled.

cowl damage.jpg
cowl repair 1.jpg
cowl repair.jpg
Great pictures to explain what is involved in the repair, nicely done!

Reactions: 2 users

cowl damage.jpg
cowl repair 1.jpg
cowl repair.jpg

My son's car had the same problem. I didn't have the spot welder, so I drilled holes for an oldschool slide hammer and welded them up with a mig. Then I rubbed mud on it.

This happened to me too... I got lucky tho traded an old school hotrod guy "mikey" an explorer long block for the repairs it just so happened he had a donor car that had been wrecked.
Lesson learned now I have hood pins

What I have seen done is a panel made from aluminum cut to the cowl demensions with proper openings for the wipers and some slotting for air flow, he had a cobra emblem cut into the middle of the plate as well.
This was a full racer tho, he just drilled and riveted the panel into place.

Well thank fully my brother works at a car shop and told me he'll help me out. He took it to work today and will get back to me tomorrow. He has all the tools at the shop he just needs the time to do it...Thank you all for helping me out here I'll tell you guys and show you if I can the results. And yes that is exactly what I'm talking about Foxmustanglvr! Thanks for that little walk through :D

Great pictures to explain what is involved in the repair, nicely done!
Thanks for the compliment

Well thank fully my brother works at a car shop and told me he'll help me out. He took it to work today and will get back to me tomorrow. He has all the tools at the shop he just needs the time to do it...Thank you all for helping me out here I'll tell you guys and show you if I can the results. And yes that is exactly what I'm talking about Foxmustanglvr! Thanks for that little walk through :D
It should be a simple fix for your brother then. Hope it comes out as good as new. Post some before and after pics if you can.

I had an old fastback in high school that had the hood pinned on all four corners after a latch failure. Some wonderful person borrowed my clips one day, and when I banged 2nd leaving the parking lot my hood made it al least 30 ft into the air before skidding down the street paint down.. ugh. I got teased about my ejecto-hood for years by my buddies.

My pins are attached with stainless cord, the first set I had probably ended up in some ricer kids pocket as he was leaving the convenience store. People suck, I spent 2 hours there waiting for someone to bring me anything to hold the hood down. :notnice:

I had an old fastback in high school that had the hood pinned on all four corners after a latch failure. Some wonderful person borrowed my clips one day, and when I banged 2nd leaving the parking lot my hood made it al least 30 ft into the air before skidding down the street paint down.. ugh. I got teased about my ejecto-hood for years by my buddies.
Lol ejecto hood

My pins are attached with stainless cord, the first set I had probably ended up in some ricer kids pocket as he was leaving the convenience store. People suck, I spent 2 hours there waiting for someone to bring me anything to hold the hood down. :notnice:

Yeah. They have to have the crimped on wire or just be the old theft proof shelby style locks.

lol, GO-GO-GADGET HOOD!!!

Reactions: 1 users

ejecto what? You know they have pills for that

Reactions: 2 users