Is This The Torque Box Plate?

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by 89oem, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 89oem

89oem Active Member

i was scanning Fredmatic's build thread and saw this picture, is the square plate the top of the torque box?

reason i ask, when i pulled my rear seat for the quarter window repair i notice very slight surface rust to outside of the seatbelt attachment area toward the quarter panel/wheel well .... im thinking its from years of rain coming in around the vert top... was going to wire wheel and spray with a rust sealer before i put seat back.... theres no heavy rust acne or anything....crawled under no visible rust or softspots, but need a lift for t-box... anything i can check on torque box without lift??

id snap a photo but its pouring out

any advice on product?
    i was thinking rustoleum auto rust sealer... i dont think its heavy enough etc for POR 15...

torque box.jpg
  2. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

That plate is the top of part of a popular chassis mod called a "Battle Box" by Wild Rides. It is designed to keep cars on slicks from tearing up the torque box. If you have rust, neutralize it with a rust neutralizer and paint over it.

Kurt
  3. 89oem

89oem Active Member

Thanks Kurt!

any preference on neutralizer?

I'll do that and then check things out next time its on a lift...

glad i saw it before it got too far!
  4. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

A little surface rust isn't a big deal when you catch it in time. I think I used Purple power rust disolver last time. It worked really well. The best part is it's under your seat so it doesn't matter what color spray paint you use.

Kurt
  5. 89oem

89oem Active Member

cool i was like hmm how close is that rust to my torque box but had no reference point, the battle box top plate clarified that...thanks Kurt.

i researched rust converter chemical properties....

tannic acid and ethylene derivative seems to be the key rust neutralizer compounds, tannic to convert iron oxide to a stable ferric compound and ethylene compound to bind and seal....

other than that basic chemistry i cant see any difference other than preference, marketing and application/carrier additives...

so i guess ill run over to napa and get some napa/permatex extended metal rust treatment...clean it up and apply...