Is trick flow stuff good enough to put on a stroker?

red ink

Founding Member
Apr 8, 2002
Arizona
Im startin' to really rack up the miles on my car and i was thinking why not build a stroker when the engine lets go. So lets say a 331 with Trick flow H/c/i. The track heat series to be specific, with the stage 2 cam. Do these parts perform good enough to spend the money on them instead of AFR? I would like AFR but most the shops i live around specialize in trick flow stuff. Is it good enough?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO AFR Heads are not any better then Trickflow and Trickflows can be bought at just under $1000. That would be a very good combo on a stroker motor. Trick flow Products are pretty much one of the top of the line parts you can get.

If you are going for a stroker you should go get the AFR185 heads, MM&FF did a huge 6 month head test, and those are by far the best in the 302 class motor and the stroker class motor. Go with the numbers man, those are my plans!!!

347 with AFR 185 heads...and a VORTECH!!!

$$$... It all costs money. If you have the TFS heads already, then stick with 'em. You can get them ported. If you have money to spend and are not worried about cost... I would go with the TFS Track Intake, Custom Ground Cam, and AFR185. I have TFS head and intake. I love them, especially for the $$ I paid. I will build up to a 331, but will keep these products. Will this combo be the fastest.... Well someone always seems to have one more mod or at least a little more money!! Good luck!! :flag:

TFS may not quite flow as good... But this is fairly minimal... For the price i say the track heats are the way to go... I may be mistaken but you have to do a spring upgrade with the AFR to run as much lift as the Track heats... Of coarse this is all relative to the cam you plan on using.

I run the track heats on my 331, but i did have them ported. I say there deffenetly good for more then 331 rwhp with the right cam/intake...

You have to remember that when your building up your top end you have to take into account more things than just flow numbers. Flow numbers are just like dyno numbers - they sure do look good, but what can the car do. I can put AFR 205's on my stock shortblock and the car would be garbage until 4k, but it sure would have good "flow numbers". What kind of intake are you using? What kind of gearing? What kind of track times? Is this going to be a daily driven motor, or a street/strip? You have to tell us what you want from the car in order to tell you what would be best. I can tell you right now that there are way better heads out there than a set of street heats for a 331.

Joe

All street car definatly. gotta drive it to college. 3.73 rear end. The intake question is tough. im just going to use my stock cobra for a few years till i get a kenne bell, then just have the stock lower cobra ported. I know there may be better stuff out there, but i wanna be able to buy something and have it perform right outta the box. no upgrades, or unrelable parts u know?

First, I would get the Cobra lower ported now. If not, it will seriously choke the motor. If driveability is a big concern, I would use either the new Edelbrock RPM heads with 2.02 valves, which are supposed to have an all new design and casting that is supposed to be very comparable to an AFR 185. I would go with either of the two. As for a cam, there are many cams on the market that would be good for a daily driver. Keep the LSA between 112-114 for idle concerns.

Joe

Striped5.0 said:
IMO AFR Heads are not any better then Trickflow and Trickflows can be bought at just under $1000. That would be a very good combo on a stroker motor. Trick flow Products are pretty much one of the top of the line parts you can get.

You should talk to some real experts on the topic and you will change your mind.

I was also deciding between the trickflows and afr's (but for my stock short block). The trickflows will deffinatly need to be ported (on the exhaust mainly) to support that engine if you wanna squeze every last bit of power out of it. The trickflow heads flow great on the intake, but they dont flow all that well on the exhaust, so keep that in mind.

Remember, you get what you pay for, and your obviously spending some good money on ur short block so why settle for the trickflows, when you could have the afr 185's for a little more.

Im no real expert though.. I would shoot ed c at FTI an email on the topic, he will tell you exactly what to do. (www.flowtechinduction.com)

I want to do the same thing. My car is a daily driver. No track time ever. The only playing will be on ramp racing. It has to be smog legal & make torque down low. 1000-1500 to 5500-? Are those about right for what I described. Which intake manifold for the 331 street heat afr185's and steeda 19 cam? Any thoughts?

Edwin