Island Raceway..nice people weird experience.....

Miklowcic

Apr 24, 2001
Hillsborough, NJ
the people were very friendly there, but do they always use a PRO TREE??? on friday street night??? Thats weird... i guess its to get cars through more quickly?

The people were great, but between getting yelled at by the burnout guy because I pulled before he told me too when I was 50ft away and it was to dark to see him, being forced to rent a helmet because mine isnt snell approved, a PRO TREE???, that gravel road that was even hard on my trailer to get down, and getting gas dumped down my arm and shirt as I held a gas can that was getting filled in the tracter trailer they sell it out of......i didnt have such a great night LOL...

and then there was the track. Do they do anything to it...any kind of prep on street night? I have never spun my tires so bad before!!! IT WAS FUN, but didnt lead to the new best ETs I was hoping for on what turned out to be a beautiful night weatherwise

I don't mean to bash island. If I had a slower street car I would be there all the time if it was more local for me and like I said the people including most of the staff just not the burnout box guy... were very nice. Oh the other thing was that they didnt let you spin your tires in the water and then do your burnout.. He actually had me start my burnout in the water.. That was weird I thought...

I would go back again but only if etown and atco are both unavailable..

• Sponsors (?)

the pro tree is only used on friday nights, not a clue why.

the gravel road does suck, bottom line. i understand that its a long straight road that people would fly down if it was smooth, but it sucks regardless

the snell approval i thought was an NHRA tech inspection point...?

usually the kid in the trailer is pretty decent and doesnt make a mess...but i guess we all slip up at times

they do some prep work with it...they sweep it and put down that sweet smelling stuff thats supposed to be traction promoter...but thats about it...i cant get even a hint of traction in my stock GT on street tires...gonna give drag radials a whirl this weekend

one or 2 of the guys that work the line are dicks...the rest are nice

i like island because its something to do on a friday night. englishtown is a much better facility but i hear you dont get many runs in. i have gotten 8-10 runs multiple times at island and i wasnt hotlapping it at all...just a more simple way to do it i guess

OH i didnt mean to put down the gas guy. He was a nice guy and didn't mean to spill gas on me. I'm just used to gas pumps...

Yeah the Snell thing is NHRA but most tracks dont enforce it...

It was just the entire experience was weird and I was upset I didnt run a new best et on such a cool night.

It could have been much worse because as I took off my hitch the next day I realized that the locking part of it had fallen off and I was driving around pulling my car on the trailer with nothing holding the pin in the hitch. I am going back to the good old fashion one with the codder pin that holds it in...

yea my dad doesnt even take his car to island anymore just because they do teh ****tiest job ever prepping the track.....they spray a tiny bit of VHT at the beginning of teh day after they scuff the starting line.....thats it!!! even if someone dumps oil at the line, and they have to use the flamethrower to get rid of the oil, they still dont re-apply more VHT.....but yes, the people are nice......except for old tech inspector.....hes a DICK!!! he always give my dad **** for NOO reason!! :nonono:

Island is the closest track from my house so I get there on occasion. The fri night pro tree does take getting used to and the guy in the staging lanes is MEAN. I don't know if he was born that way or is just tired of putting up with ricers. I tried changing lanes way back where the lanes begin and he gave me 5 minutes of earful. I could see if it was crowded but I was the ONLY car around. Not another car in the staging lanes anywhere and he still let me have it. As far as the burnout box guy, when he tells you to do your burnout, do the burnout the way YOU want. Don't let him rush you. I'm sure he knows your not supposed to do a full burnout in the water then roll out and get your tires all wet again. He's just trying to hurry everyone along. They currently won't let me run full passes there due to the rollbar vert 13.5 rule. Winter project........roll bar.