Issues with 60 foot

88blowngt

Jun 29, 2009
Dover, Delaware
After constant practice on and off the track, I think I'm having a clutch issue when it comes to my 60 foot. A friend of mine running a stock T5, stock worn clutch with minor slip and stock motor with boltons like mine is consistently 60 footing in the low 1.7x range.

Friends car 87 GT, boltons, stock HCI, 1.7x 12.8x @ 104 (Impressive might I add)

Mine 88 GT, boltons, stock HCI, 1.9x 13.3x @ 102

I on the other hand have a T5-Z, Ram HDX and stock motor with boltons running the same slick as him 26x10x15 bog so hard its like the motor doesn't have enough power to spin a heated up slick. Ive tried launching as high as 5k and completely dropping the clutch, pedal to the floor. The car will bite and bog very hard like it doesn't have enough to get through it. If I try slipping the clutch I can't seem to get out of the hole fast enough and as fast as I can slip it, smell a little clutch like it was ridden hard and end up with a worse 60 foot. Does anyone know what might be going on? Also both cars are stock suspension, 3.73 gears. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You have a t5 z trans, likely with a 2.95 first gear.
If he has a stock t5 he has a 3.35

I hate the long first gear, when i first went to my tko600 (2.87 first gear) i couldn't stand the gearing, it works better when you have a ton of power, but worse when you are low on the horses.

Consider going to a 4.10, until i bought the terminator engine, that is what i was going to do.

Anyone that thinks you can't tell the difference in the first gear ratio, needs to experience it for themselves, it sucks.

I have a g force trans with the 2.95 gear in 1st. I had the same trouble with stock and g force trans, both gears my car would bog. Watch launchin the car that high, I snapped an axle 2 weeks ago launching at 4 grand. Especially if you have stock axles.

You have a t5 z trans, likely with a 2.95 first gear.
If he has a stock t5 he has a 3.35

I hate the long first gear, when i first went to my tko600 (2.87 first gear) i couldn't stand the gearing, it works better when you have a ton of power, but worse when you are low on the horses.

Consider going to a 4.10, until i bought the terminator engine, that is what i was going to do.

Anyone that thinks you can't tell the difference in the first gear ratio, needs to experience it for themselves, it sucks.

I recently put a 1994 T-5z, from a cobra (2.95 1st gear), in my coupe. having replaced the t-5 which came out (i blew it up, TAG said it was from 1986 (3.35 1st gear)) of it. the difference is NIGHT and DAY... i have 3.55's and this trans bogs even with Nittos.

90lx is right you need to launch harder, but with stock axles it is hit or miss.

You actually have a little too much tire, I'd run a 9" slick. If it hooks and 60fts good (1.50 range) you have a good chance of snapping the axle.

I ran my stock axles with a 26" x 10.5" ET Street for many years launching at 6000rpm and never had an issue (169,000 mile car), 60fts were in the 1.6 range. We made 3 passes on my dads 93 Cobra with a 26" x 9" ET Drag and snapped the axle, 40,000 mile car.

Nothing wrong with leaving off the limiter...

You'll find some weak links in the car that way though. I'd say a lot of your problem is coming from a few little issues together. Not leaving hard, long first gear, and losing a bit of gearing from the slicks.
Best bet is to do what someone else already said, go 4.10s, leave a bit harder and go ahead and place an order with Moser :nice:

You will end up breaking an axle leaving off the rev limiter. I snapped one of mine leaving off the limiter with 28x10.50 on 3.73s lol but I knew it was either gonna be the tranny or an axle. Good thing is they are cheap and you have an excuse to upgrade.

what is it that you guys dont get about the factory rev limiter. it cuts fuel to reduce engine rpm's! this is a sure fire recipe to destroy your engine. i've seen 1.5 60ft times on stock axles so if you launch right i wouldn't worry about the axles to much but please for the love of your motor stay off the rev limiter. at the very least install a msd box and set that rev limiter below the stock 6250rpm limiter the msd will atleast cut the ignition and not the fuel.

It's also a sure fire way to destroy your axles. Hell anything you put on a motor can destroy it for the most part. Blowers nitrous even just drag racing it can blow your motor. Eating cheeseburgers and pizza will ultimately blow my heart and before that even my rear end lol. But I still eat them. people choose to do stuff they shouldn't all the time. And in a never ending quest for low et's it normally involves things such as that.

Leaving off the rev-limiter on slicks, on stock axles/trans/trac-loc, your just asking for trouble. Motor, trans, and rearend all are gonna pack there sh** and leave, quick! I had a friend snap an axle and he was launching at 3800 RPM, needless to say he was runnin slicks.