Issues with transmission when cold.

Ares67Coupe

Jun 16, 2004
Nor Cal
Ok tranny works GREAT when warm, absoluetely 0 problems. However when it is cold, it does not always engage right away, IE driving along within the fist 5 minutes, pull to a stop sign, transmission disengages, wait a few seconds, press gas slightly to raise RPMs, transmission engages and off I go. It really isn't a big deal, however I would like to get some insight on to what is causing this. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Simply put, your seals are old and need the heat to make the swell enough to seal properly. It is time for a rebuild basically unless you can use some additive to soften the seals and get some more mileage out of the transmission. It will eventually just srop engaging either way.

Eh, well I'll drive the damn thing into the ground then, and when that happens, I'll just install the AOD I am looking into picking up. Kind of surprised the seals are bad. I guess that happens sometimes though.

You'd never believe how many miles are on the chassis though, which is why I am surprised, I am only pushing just over 40,700 ORIGINAL miles. not 140.700, 40,700 miles. :D

Well thanks for the tranny help! I'll start sourcing an AOD now.

Ronstang said:
Simply put, your seals are old and need the heat to make the swell enough to seal properly. It is time for a rebuild basically unless you can use some additive to soften the seals and get some more mileage out of the transmission. It will eventually just srop engaging either way.

yep definately seals. had the same probelm with mine years ago before it ever had a rebuild on it. my uncle had an 85 ford van that did the same thing, he drove it for another 65 or 70,000 miles before he fianlly traded it in on a new one. never did fix it, just kept the fuid full and chaged it every 30,000 miles.

bnickel said:
yep definately seals. had the same probelm with mine years ago before it ever had a rebuild on it. my uncle had an 85 ford van that did the same thing, he drove it for another 65 or 70,000 miles before he fianlly traded it in on a new one. never did fix it, just kept the fuid full and chaged it every 30,000 miles.

That should be about another 28 years at the rate he's going. :rlaugh: Maybe he could splurge and just change the fluid every couple of years.

What you describe are symptoms of low fluid level. I had the exact same problem with my 69 many, many years ago. Prior to the problem occurring as you described, I had swapped the original FMX automatic trans in my car for another FMX because I had lost second gear. About 6 months later I started having problems with the replacement transmission (the weather had gotten colder). When I initially did the work, I put a used 72 FMX trans in place of a 69 FMX trans. I used the original dipstick tube, the tranny was changed, but I am not sure if I used the original dipstick or the one from the 72. Nonetheless, I started having problems 6 months after that. I thought, well, used tranny #2 just gave up. So, I had the original trans rebuilt and reinstalled it with a new converter. The same problem recurred almost immediately. I took it to the place that rebuilt the trans and they told me the fluid level was too low. They added fluid (above the mark on the dipstick) and the problem permanently went away. To this day I think I used the original dipstick, but the tranny would not work without an extra quart of fluid. I put about 20,000 more miles on it with no problems.

I ultimately swapped to a 4 speed because I wanted to shift...