It Shoulda Been Called A Mach1

The mach 1 new edge was a nice car, but imho, it didn't do the origional justice. For a 44 year old man like me, the origional mach is THE Mustang. IF they decide to release another, it better live up to
I wasn't that impressed either. Looks ok but ford was still dragging their feet in the power dept back then compared to the competition.

• Sponsors (?)

69boss3025.jpg
1967 shelby-g-t-500cr.jpg
All I got to say is.. I drove a 70 Mustang (mach 1 clone) in high school and it was a bad b!tch. Would I have rather had a boss? Yes, but they were rare and expensive. The mach, even in the 80s was the car to have. The mach 1 new edge was a nice car, but imho, it didn't do the origional justice. For a 44 year old man like me, the origional mach is THE Mustang. IF they decide to release another, it better live up to the title. Talk crap about the mach all you want, if you weren't there you won't understand, and that's your loss.

Was there, and everyone has a reason to love mustangs typically rooted in their youth. The 69-70 was allot better looking, with a typical 351 cleveland 4bb it out what 290 hp? not bad by 71 it was a boat and by 73 well.... the 71 put out a whopping 285 hp.
The Boss had a tuned windsor 302 with cleveland heads and put out 290 hp.

Which would you rather have, since I thought this what if fantasy name badging

mimagesYJWR8VT2.jpg
mump_0808_01_z+1970_cobra_jet_mach_1+front_view.jpg

69boss3025.jpg

Last edited:
All I got to say is.. I drove a 70 Mustang (mach 1 clone) in high school and it was a bad b!tch. Would I have rather had a boss? Yes, but they were rare and expensive. The mach, even in the 80s was the car to have. The mach 1 new edge was a nice car, but imho, it didn't do the origional justice. For a 44 year old man like me, the origional mach is THE Mustang. IF they decide to release another, it better live up to the title. Talk crap about the mach all you want, if you weren't there you won't understand, and that's your loss.

This^^.

Even at 44, you were late to the party.

I was thinking about the whole age thing as it applies to perception.

I know that I don't have to tell you this, but for the benefit of those that weren't yet born:

A Boss 302 has the image that it was a bad ass car. In fact 4 bbl Cleveland heads on a 302 made it a pig on the street.
Great T/A engine, famous race track heritage, gutless pig on the street. A 2.23" intake valve, a 1.71" exhaust valve, and an intake port that you could get your fist into does it everytime. Despite the 290 HP rating, that power didn't even show up until after 5000 RPM, and on the street, that meant you got your ass whipped.

This is one of many stories I've read over the years. M/T compares all three "Bosses" 302/351/429.
Real quicky education for the "fox generation".

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302, 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429, and 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 - The Boss Squad - Motor Trend Classic

No kidding, how about that hemi cuda,

my high school mostly had chevelles, skylarks, a few big block olds and 6 pack cars... and too many camaros to count :(

The Chevelles ruled the roost...

Mike, you are spot on with age interpretation in this thread. Im a fox body guy (They were new in my youth, and I had an '89 GT in high school), but I also fell in love with the Foose styled Eleanor when Gone in Sixty Seconds part deux came out during my high school years. That being said, the 2011 GT was my slice of heaven. After one drive behind that 7,000 rpm screaming coyote "5.0", and aluminum retro styled dash, it was all over for me. I sway toward diving back to a fox, but then I slap myself and remember how great my car fits when Im not wrecking it. But back on topic, I feel Bullitt and Mach 1 being used on the new edge was a big reach, 2008 somewhat saved the Bullitt image, but they are due for a positive take on the Mach 1 now. Your PS pic isnt all bad, just please for the love of God, I hope they put a newer spin on the wheels. Wheels straight out of the 70's just dont match a brand new modern bodied car. The rest is just stickers, a spoiler and shaker (to we young pups).

Who is 44, and how do you know that???

This^^.

Even at 44, you were late to the party.

I was thinking about the whole age thing as it applies to perception.

I know that I don't have to tell you this, but for the benefit of those that weren't yet born:

A Boss 302 has the image that it was a bad ass car. In fact 4 bbl Cleveland heads on a 302 made it a pig on the street.
Great T/A engine, famous race track heritage, gutless pig on the street. A 2.23" intake valve, a 1.71" exhaust valve, and an intake port that you could get your fist into does it everytime. Despite the 290 HP rating, that power didn't even show up until after 5000 RPM, and on the street, that meant you got your ass whipped.

This is one of many stories I've read over the years. M/T compares all three "Bosses" 302/351/429.
Real quicky education for the "fox generation".

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302, 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429, and 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 - The Boss Squad - Motor Trend Classic

I quoted boosted92lx when I made that reply.
For a bit, I thought you had a crystal shifter ball in the shop you were using.

I take some of it back about the 69-73's being ugly. I like the earlier blue one in that pic a lot. I wish my old elementary teacher well, but his beard and UGLY white Mustang did not offset the double knit polyester.
Pre radial tires did make life more interesting.

For a bit, I thought you had a crystal shifter ball in the shop you were using.

I take some of it back about the 69-73's being ugly. I like the earlier blue one in that pic a lot. I wish my old elementary teacher well, but his beard and UGLY white Mustang did not offset the double knit polyester.
Pre radial tires did make life more interesting.

That perspective is kinda like the way my wife looks at things. Specifically, judging a car because you didn't like the person driving it I mean.

My wife sees things this way:

Two 2015 Mustangs can go down the road. One red, the other white.

My wife sees two different cars.

Is it 'cause she can read eco boost and GT, or is it the hot babe you are drooling at in one and the hairy chested, gold chain wearing dude driving the other?

5.0 GT was a good marketing call. But what would the Mach 1 have for a drivetrain? A 351 modular with a blower?

Is it 'cause she can read eco boost and GT, or is it the hot babe you are drooling at in one and the hairy chested, gold chain wearing dude driving the other?

5.0 GT was a good marketing call. But what would the Mach 1 have for a drivetrain? A 351 modular with a blower?
Whatever the GT woulda had. It would be after all the badge on the car instead of GT