It's alive, sort of

Well I blew my 331 / Vortech YS up a few months ago so I sold most of the good parts bought a motor, ripped out my fuel injection and transplanted this 408 tonight........hope to be out at the track before the season ends......this is one big change.

Sorry for crappy pics.

photo222.jpg

photo1.jpg

Attachments

• photo222.jpg
    photo222.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 84
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sponsors (?)

Big thanks to Tanner for making it happen.

It's completely gone through down to the block, all new bearings, rings, new valves in the heads etc. and should be ready to go soon. After I dropped it in I realized that I'm gonna have to yank it again to move my line lock and regulator due to the taller deck height.

compression should be around 9.5

AFR 205 Outlaw heads 2.08/1.6
Victor Jr intake
Quick Fuel 850 carb
XE282HR cam

I'd be happy if it makes more than my last motor which was dynoed at 460/421 to the wheels.

Thrashing away trying to make it out at least once to the track before the end of season here.

hooker super comp conversion headers, they're painted steel. I hope they fit like they are supposed to

:rlaugh: all I will say is good luck, never really enjoyed putting those bastards in. I recommend some allen head cap screws as they are a PIAto get to the heads once they are in the car. Port the adapterplates out if you havent already, they come pretty small from Hooker

:rlaugh: all I will say is good luck, never really enjoyed putting those bastards in. I recommend some allen head cap screws as they are a PIAto get to the heads once they are in the car. Port the adapterplates out if you havent already, they come pretty small from Hooker

wow you're not kidding Rick! I almost lost my mind yesterday! I swapped the motor mounts out 5 times trying to get those headers to fit, and had to use a torch to heat up my flaming river steering shaft to lossen up the lock tight on the set screw so I could pull it. I can move the shaft (coming through firewall) inward to relocate the 1st steering joint to clear the headers but now I need a new double d shaft as mine is now too short. UGGHHH!

I'm debating whether to keep going this hard at it, maybe just worth it to wait till spring to get this out there as I have less than a month to get it running before the last track event. I have to finsih everything under the hood, put the dash back in and get a rear bulkhead installed. :eek:

If its just a track car, used kooks might be a good idea

Also ive heard of guys using kooks short deck headers on a tall deck SBF and they fit like a glove... something to think about. I'll know how accufab headers fit in a couple months too

Woo hoo!

Bought myself a starter for a 93 and found that it is absolutely the same as my gear reduction powermaster except the sticker. I also did not realize that there are different starters for 157T and 164T flywheels / flexplates. Good to know, especially before I trashed something.

We adjusted fuel pressure and fired the pig up, open headers at 10PM and revved her up. Sweet music to my ears. I literally spent what feels like hundreds of hours, building the complete motor from a bare block, converting the entire car from a supercharged EFI car to a carbed / fuel celled windsor so to have it run is a good feeling! This thing has nickel and dimed me to death. I know EFI is preferred to the carb but the simplicity of it is unreal, I really wish I went this route before.

I'll try to post up some pics tomorrow and maybe a vid if I can find a way, I'm going to go have a drink now :)