It's Done!

Are you running a stock T5?
Yep, and not a healthy one at that. Whines like crazy in all but 4th gear (direct drive).....but it sounded like that before I installed the Vortech and stuffed 14psi through it.

I'll be honest though, I don't normally beat on it. Since the Vortech, I don't power shift anymore. Half because I don't want to break the trans and half because I don't want to end up against the guard rail.

However, in one of my less calculating moments the other day, I let it go, rolling out of second. Punched it hard, from about a 30-roll and blew the tires off, speed shifted (not power shifted) and blew them off again through 3rd, shifted quick into 4th and slipped the clutch bouncing it off the rev limiter. Embarrassing (thought I missed 4th gear at first) but it probably kept my T5 from signing off. :)

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

As @A5literMan stated, hard launches and traction are what break these T5's. I will also add, that power shifting (especially 3rd gear) does them no favours either. These seem to take moderate, to high horsepower levels pretty well, as long as the torque has somewhere to go. I'm putting in the neighborhood of 500hp through mine, but because my tires break loose (quite easily I might add) and my clutch isn't overly agressive (Astro King Cobra variant) it takes the stress off the fragile drivetrain components and saves them from a gruesome death. :)

Link us to the rebuild kit you went with @RangerJoe If I remember right, Astro has a few different variations to choose from?

This is the one

https://www.astroperformance.com/product/master-bearings-synchronizer-rings-seals-kit/

Tony originally built this trans, so I have always gone back to him for clutch recommendations and questions. He has the best price on the kit from my research, and this is the mac daddy kit (without add on stuff anyway).

I have to say I was a little disappointed though. Shipping was $48 for this kit and 2 sliders ( about 10lbs). I thought it was outrageous, but was thinking that he does only quality and wants everything to arrive undamaged. Well, I had one synchro that was scuffed and one caged bearing that was missing several needles. Most the parts were unwrapped, in a small box together.

Tony made it right without question. Then, while doing the rebuild, I found that there was no 1st gear caged bearing in the kit. Every other bearing was there, but not that one. All my bearings were in great shape, and I had bought the kit about 6 weeks earlier and didn't want to wait or go through the hassle, so I reused my old one. I am sure Tony would have made it right, but it was a little frustrating.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, and not a healthy one at that. Whines like crazy in all but 4th gear (direct drive).

Signs of a scored main shaft. Usually happens if the fluid is incorrect (too thick) or the fluid level drops too low and the roller bearings starve for fluid.

Easy fix really. New mains haft, and new roller bearings. Common issue really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Not anymore.

I remember when you could buy the entire Z-spec gearset for $300. I was going to buy one and put it off. Now it's like $700-800+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: