Its Like It Wants To Jump Off The Car.

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Ok i have replaced my starter three times now... First time the ears broke off of a reman... So new reman under warranty. Happens again, so they let me trade it in and gave me its value on one from an Explorer. It has bigger ears so they wont break off, But instead the bolts are backing out of the bellhousing.... i retighten them. They back out again, this time the bottom bolt takes the threads with it. So i tapped the hole, new bolt with lock washers and locktight.... Now the top bolt backed out not sure if it took the threads with it will check in the morning.
The starters do not grind and yes i have tried shimming... does not seem to make any difference.
This has happened over the period of a few months. car is driven hard on the weekend.
Thanx

• Sponsors (?)

install a crank start like a model a???

I have had ears break but that was merely due to over torquing the bolts. off hand if you are having this kind of problem I would put studs in the bell and then bolt the starter on. its kind of ghetto and doesnt really address the problem but you have tried all the obvious solutions.

Yeah i am in the process of putting in studs... No noise no grinding no banging nothin while the car is just sitting and running. I do remember hearing a loud BANG! when i hit second gear hard. Maybe ill try more shims what else can i do?