It's Official!

Stangar

Jan 17, 2002
Palmdale, CA
Ford has run out of ideas! Ford's slogan of "Ford Has a Better Idea" needs to be modified to "Ford Has Run Out of Ideas". Retro Thunderbird, Retro Ford GT, Retro Mustang to name just a few. I guess if they cannot move forward, they can slam it in reverse, and gain alot of speed. Sorry, I was hoping for something fresh, exciting, innovative, progressive and would get my heart a racin'. Putting me back in my high shool days with a "new" old car is not what I expected. I know it's a done deal but I'm not buying it. Oh yeah, solid rear axle in this day and age is ridiculous. I will soldier on in my '89 Mustang GT and begin to shop other makes. Just my rant.

• Sponsors (?)

Stangar said:
Ford has run out of ideas! Ford's slogan of "Ford Has a Better Idea" needs to be modified to "Ford Has Run Out of Ideas". Retro Thunderbird, Retro Ford GT, Retro Mustang to name just a few. I guess if they cannot move forward, they can slam it in reverse, and gain alot of speed. Sorry, I was hoping for something fresh, exciting, innovative, progressive and would get my heart a racin'. Putting me back in my high shool days with a "new" old car is not what I expected. I know it's a done deal but I'm not buying it. Oh yeah, solid rear axle in this day and age is ridiculous. I will soldier on in my '89 Mustang GT and begin to shop other makes. Just my rant.

OK, let me see if I understand. You're not going to buy the new Stang that has:

1. A modern multivalve V8 with variable cam timing
2. An all new suspension that even though it has a sold rear axle is still more advanced than anything put in a Mustang before (IRS will be available in the Cobra)
3. Problably the best Mustang build quality EVER

simply because it has styling that is an homage to the original Mustang? Instead you're going to keep your 89 GT and shop other brands?

OK dude, whatever... :shrug:

you notice you are picking models with heritage. of course they are going to bring back cues of these models in there currents. i mean got to show people how you got here.

if you pic some of the other models that do not have hertitage i bet you will see they facelift it with not much to play to the older models.

Ford is not the only one. look at chevy. good job bringing back the gto. bummer making it look like a cavilier.

i bet when the camaro comes back it will have cues from the early models.

later,

Chris

trickfull25tx said:
i bet when the camaro comes back it will have cues from the early models.

That bet you would win. There are already pics of the '07 Camaro out and it does have the 69 Camaro rear fenders....Don't get me wrong, Chevrolet is no better in the retro department. That ridiculous, overweight, underpowered SSR pickup is a joke inspired by 1950ish Chevy trucks. I do like the GTO, though, even if it is on the old Catera platform. It doesn't have the 4 wheel drive look (tire to fender clearance) of the Mustang. But then, the Mustang has returned to earth (a little) for '05.

You are entitled to your feelings. However I've been waiting some 30 years for Ford to bring the Mustang back to it's proper path. At one time I felt the same about all Mustangs since 1974 until 2004. Ford cannot please everybody all the time. However as someone who owned several pre70's hot Mustang classics I am very thrilled. So after all these decades I am returning to the Mustang circuit. Best of luck to your new journey! There's a lot of nice cars out there so I am sure you'll find something.

appaloosa said:
There's a lot of nice cars out there so I am sure you'll find .

There are nice cars to drive around out there but sports or muscle....Other then a Mustang, hmmm 44,000 Vette, GTO Mercedes wannabe, ohh ohh the 4500lb SSR, and imports. :nonono:

I'm an import man that loves technologically advanced cars. I've always had a guilty pleasure of loving most GT's and Cobras. Except for the 94-99's, and never had I wanted a Stang more than the 05. I'm convinced and I haven't even driven it yet. As far as the solid rear axle, Ford stayed tru to what its customers wanted. It also helps keep 300hp at $25K. Supposedly this solid rear axle is years ahead of the last one, and more people race in a straight line, not in the twisties so the solid rear axle is actually benefit.

That reminds me of the other day when i was at the chevy dealer looking at a silverado(dont take away my ford card guys. i just like them)

I told the guy. "Nice cavalier you got up there." He said "yeah which one"

I said "the one with the GTO badges"

He even laughed

Chris

trickfull25tx said:
"Nice cavalier you got up there." He said "yeah which one"

I said "the one with the GTO badges"

He even laughed

Chris

In this predicament he had two options, laugh or cry. He knows it lacks styling cues. I just hope they don't go from one extreme to the other. Like fake hoodscoops. Fake hoodscoops on any car is the end of the equation for me. BMW's with fake hoodscoops will not happen as they are purposeful machines. Mustangs in the past have fake hoodscoops which is something I don't understand. Looks without function is the definition of "RICE".

Stangar said:
That bet you would win. There are already pics of the '07 Camaro out and it does have the 69 Camaro rear fenders....Don't get me wrong, Chevrolet is no better in the retro department. That ridiculous, overweight, underpowered SSR pickup is a joke inspired by 1950ish Chevy trucks. I do like the GTO, though, even if it is on the old Catera platform. It doesn't have the 4 wheel drive look (tire to fender clearance) of the Mustang. But then, the Mustang has returned to earth (a little) for '05.

damn, those pics are fricken annoying. those pics are just some renderings a kid did using a FERRARI as a base and changing to look more like a muscle car. chevy is never goin to build that thing.

You are entitled to your feelings. However I've been waiting some 30 years for Ford to bring the Mustang back to it's proper path. At one time I felt the same about all Mustangs since 1974 until 2004. Ford cannot please everybody all the time. However as someone who owned several pre70's hot Mustang classics I am very thrilled. So after all these decades I am returning to the Mustang circuit :nice: :nice:

I agree completely

Didn't someone post a thread like this a while back?
I can't say that I'm upset that you don't like it. You are definately entitled to your opinion on style. And I wish you best of luck on your shopping. I hope the BMW you talk about matches your desires. I however will not be driving an old mustang with an even older suspension design. I will be driving an 05 with the suspension having been inspired by the BMW (Front suspension design has been said to be very similar). Of course from the looks of your sig. It doesn't appear that you like buying new cars anyway. While I like the fox body stang. In 89 it was almost old enough to be considered a retro design of the 79 mustang.

SVTdriver said:
Kind of like the cutouts at the bottom of the ground effects on the 89 gt surprisingly enough.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/ads/87-93/89FOMU02.jpg :rlaugh:

Some will argue that those scoops are functional because they do go all the way through and channel air to the tire. Not that you would want the tire cooled, it adversely affects performance... but I guarantee someone will say they are functional just because they go all the way through, not like the 99+ which is solid plastic. Some will say the 94-98 was functional because they had holes in them too.

I think there are three classes of scoops, two of which are acceptable to me:
1) Scoops that are functional: Acceptable
2) Scoops that add style, are not functional but look real: Acceptable
3) Scoops that add style, are not functional and look fake: Unacceptable.

What would you have Ford do Stangar? Make the Mustang look very modern, yet have NO design cues from the Mustangs of old? Now granted this might not have been a bad thing since the car might have been very handsome, but at the same time it would have alienated all the hardcore 'Stang lovers that want their 2007 Mustang to resemble the 69 fastback they once owned in high school.

IMO Ford has done a great job of mixing old with new, 3v VVT equiped 4.6L OHC V-8, brand new "purpose built muscle car chassis" All new frount suspension, 3 link rear suspension (even with solid axle) Jaw dropping interior, and wrapped around this impressive platform a body that to me is absolutely stunning...

Now where do I sign up for the next Cobra??? :D