It's tire time for me... need advice!

i got a set of dayton dayton hr 245/45/17 for about 480 for all 4. ive tried to get them to break loose in the rain with traction control on or off and they wont. real good in wet weather. 40,000 mile warranty. on z rated tires how often will your car see 150+ to warrant spending extra money for a tire that wears much quicker. bfg kdws are also a good tire 125 apiece. had them on my 01 gt. good all around

• Sponsors (?)

abouttobeglue said:
i got a set of dayton dayton hr 245/45/17 for about 480 for all 4. ive tried to get them to break loose in the rain with traction control on or off and they wont. real good in wet weather. 40,000 mile warranty. on z rated tires how often will your car see 150+ to warrant spending extra money for a tire that wears much quicker. bfg kdws are also a good tire 125 apiece. had them on my 01 gt. good all around

The reason you spend the extra money on Z-rated tires is because they have a softer tread compound and therefore will stick to pavement better. Yes they cost more. Yes, they wear out faster. But yes, they also perform better. If you don't corner or accelerate hard, the harder tires should be perfect for you, because they're more economical.

usn86gt said:
Where do you live Germany. I don't know of any roads I could do 130+ for 20-30. Maybe Arizona. Just curious. I wanna do that.

Oh trust me there are tons of roads in the western US where you can run like that. I live in far western Kansas. I mean, it's not legal- but there is little or zero traffic in most places and you can run like that for miles. Just look on a map and you can pick out hundreds maybe thousands of roads out west where you can drive like that. Oh, it has to be good road though, that's the other thing. Flat, not too curvy, and a good surface is important. I don't go out and just run fast like that anymore for fun, mainly just to cover ground. It's too dangerous to do every time the opportunity presents itself.

I'm happy with the nitto NT-555s. These are NOT the drag radials (555Rs). They are great handling with good dry traction for a street tire. They are far superior to my stock goodyears in every respect, including wet traction. If you don't drive in a lot of bad weather I don't see how you could go wrong with these tires. Plus, you can buy them from discount tire mounted and balanced with road hazard protection at a pretty sweet price. Even your dad should appreciate that ;)

wjfawb0 said:
For a daily driver I would suggest Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. That will be my next tire. Great dry traction, great wet traction and great handling. Looks cool as hell too.

gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg

GS D3

Tire rack data

-Jason

BINGO :nice:

Attachments

• gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg
    gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci2_l.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 78
Do what you like but if you're gonna stick with one size on all corners, you may as well use the same tire. You'll be able to rotate them and it will just save you cost overall. Do whatever is best and safest for your driving conditions though.

I'm going to Tempe for the Fiesta Bowl in a couple weeks and will have huge praise for my Nittos if they handle the 2000 mile trip without complaint. There's nothing I would hate worse than to have a blowout on my car.

VoodooChi|d said:
I've got about 27k on the stock goodyears... well 3 of them. The previous owner replaced the front right tire with a kuhma ecsta. My front driver side tire is extremely bald (Too much hard cornering, never rotated) so I was going to get that one replaced with prolly another kuhma ecsta.

Now yesterday it rained. I learned by almost crashing my car how to drive in the rain in my car (really slow). But yesterday driving slow didn't help. On the way to school around a turn I was going super slow... I could feel the rear end sliding and the traction control comes on. I just figure there musta been some oil there or something. After school going to my friends house straight on the highway the rear end starts to get loose again and the traction control light goes on... I'm going 55 in a 65. I slow down to 50 and it does the same thing a few hundred feet later. It scared the crap outa me. The thing is my back tires have a fair amount of tread on them. I was reading up on tires and it looks like the goodyear eagle f1s would be awesome for me (good grip for corners and good try and wet traction ratings) only problem is they are really expensive.

Suggestions please. :nice:

Not to be a flame or anything, but how were you driving? I just got back from Eastern TN, Western NC along I-40 which has an ungodly amount of curves and it was raining to beat hell. I was consistently going 75 in a 60 on fairly worn Stock Goodyears and I never lost traction once.

Of course I also got passed by a Mach 1 with aftermarket rims and tires like I was standing still :hail2:

Check out Discount Tire on 183. I got 2 Kumho's 275s for the front for $133.00 a piece. Also if in the future you want to keep the same brand on the car you swap out the back tires for the Victoracer V700's.

This is the combo I've got, and seems to work well here in Austin when raining. I moved here from NY, and noticed that the oil on the road is closer to the surface because of the summer heat, and this causes the roadfs to be even slicker in rain.

good luck.

z

The best bang for the buck tire out right now is the Yokohama ES100s. I've gone through tons of different tires so I researched them all.

yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg

They are ranked 3rd in the Ultra High performance category. 245/45/17s are only $116 each. The only tires ranked above them cost $155 and $170. Hell, even lower ranked tires are still $40 more per tires.

BTW, everyone's favorite Kumho tire is ranked 11th on the same survey.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhp.jsp

Attachments

• yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg
    yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 74
NFCStang said:
Not to be a flame or anything, but how were you driving? I just got back from Eastern TN, Western NC along I-40 which has an ungodly amount of curves and it was raining to beat hell. I was consistently going 75 in a 60 on fairly worn Stock Goodyears and I never lost traction once.

Of course I also got passed by a Mach 1 with aftermarket rims and tires like I was standing still :hail2:
Like I said in my post the one time I gave it a small amount of gas in the rain I almost crashed... I drive really slow and at the time of the hydroplanes I wasn't even accelerating... just cruising. Like z3r0c00l said here in Austin the oils rest on the surface and so when it rains its like driving on oil slicks. I also did the penny test on the back tires and the tread doesn't even go halfway to Lincolns head. So imagine driving on DRs on oil... that's what its like.

Anyways I think the Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the back should help prevent that and the kuhmos aren't bad front tires.

LI98GTStang said:
What about the Sumitomo HRZ IIs that are rated at tirerack very high for wet, are inexpensive, and have good looks to boot? I'm still on the Stocker (POS) Goodyears, so I can't give you personal experience, but these look good to me. Hopefully someone will chime in with their own experiences with these for you.
su_htrz_ii.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ch=false&partnum=445WR7HTRZ2&fromCompare1=yes

Have these tires and love them (275/40's on all 4). Great wet weather traction (with 3.90's) and great dry weather traction. They are also considerably quieter than the stock GY's. I'm still able to pull off 2.0-.1 60's pretty consistenly with these so they hook well at the track. Cornering: the side-wall could be a lil stiffer (they do seem to roll a little), but steering is true along with feedback. I have 10k on them now and they still look new.

VoodooChi|d said:
Like I said in my post the one time I gave it a small amount of gas in the rain I almost crashed... I drive really slow and at the time of the hydroplanes I wasn't even accelerating... just cruising. Like z3r0c00l said here in Austin the oils rest on the surface and so when it rains its like driving on oil slicks. I also did the penny test on the back tires and the tread doesn't even go halfway to Lincolns head. So imagine driving on DRs on oil... that's what its like.

Anyways I think the Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the back should help prevent that and the kuhmos aren't bad front tires.

Ok...I just wanted to check and see. Mine are about as bad. I've got to do the tire thing within a couple of weeks as well

Good luck