It's true, our cars are heavy!

Thanks for all the contributions including Gearbanger. Even though we disagree on some of the conclusions, the debate helped us get close enough to some real numbers. I think the bottom line is weigh YOUR car and work with that. Personally, I am not going to weigh my car without a passenger seat or back seat because I drive with them in BUT to re-iterate, I came away from this thread with some basic plans on my preferences to help weight reduction and distribution:

- Tubular-K
- Maybe some lighter front seats that look somewhat stock
- Battery in back
- I NEVER listen to the radio on my stang for some reason so I thought maybe go with this guys set up: "brands5.0"
His car is down to 3000# with him in it!:)

pokageek-albums-album-picture2643-dsc00320.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Have any of you drove an '05+?

I have. :) And I agree the new 3V is an increadible engine. Gone are the days when 300rwhp from non-4V 4.6 was a rarity.

Here's what I can think of off the top of my head that has helped eliminate weight on my car on the street and track:

-tubular K member, A arms, and coil-overs (68lbs less if memory serves me right)
-99-up PBR front brake calipers (5lbs TOTAL for both sides)
-aluminum heads (~50lbs less)
-aluminum driveshaft
-removed 25lb 'vert weight and dog bone
-aluminum pulleys
-offroad X pipe
-removed smog pump, EGR valve, and all related lines/hardware
-removed spare and jack
-aluminum flywheel

At the track I can remove even more weight with the following:
-skinnies up front
-removed sway bar
-drag wheels and a bias ply tire out back
-remove passenger and rear seats
-install lightweight drag seat for driver
-remove trunk carpet
-1/4 tank of fuel
-lightweight battery

I've added weight with:
-dart block
-forged internals
-shaft rockers
-6pt chrome-moly roll bar
-subframe connectors

Have any of you drove an '05+?

Yes and I loved it. Sure, you do notice the weight, but not to the extent some of the nay-sayers make it out to be. Its not like you've switched from a SN95 to a Lincoln Town Car or anything.

I found it a very well balanced car for the size and more than capable of putting any stock Fox body I've ever driven/ridden in on the trailer in the handling department.

The 3V 4.6L is a friggin dream too. Smooth as silk and seamless power delivery. The car I drove was an automatic, but it still pulled really well. A dead pedal drop off the line resulted in a little scratch, followed by the dumping of the rear end and you were off. I did on a couple of occasions power brake the car and let it hang, where it easily put down 60ft worth of rubber through 2-gears.

I even have to admit....It might have actually been a close one between the stock '07 GT I drove and my Cougar from something like a 70mph drop. Those cars have plenty of top end. I bet it passes every bit as well as my 400hp supercharged 2V does.

The seating position and interior ergonomics are also way better than any Fox/SN95 I’ve been in. You’re actually sitting upright, with a comfortable seating position and your hand drops right into place with the shifter. No more reaching for shifts, or cocking your body to once side to grab the gears. The pedal placement was great too. As is that huuuuggge windshield. The visibility is great.

Again…loved the car all the way across the board. Didn’t care much for the lack of window frame on the doors, since I’m so used to grabbing that area to close my door, but I’d hardly call that a deal breaker.

I still think the looks of the ’94-’04 SN95’s are more “sporty” by comparison, but looks are subjective. :shrug:

Yes and I loved it. Sure, you do notice the weight, but not to the extent some of the nay-sayers make it out to be. Its not like you've switched from a SN95 to a Lincoln Town Car or anything.

I found it a very well balanced car for the size and more than capable of putting any stock Fox body I've ever driven/ridden in on the trailer in the handling department.

The 3V 4.6L is a friggin dream too. Smooth as silk and seamless power delivery. The car I drove was an automatic, but it still pulled really well. A dead pedal drop off the line resulted in a little scratch, followed by the dumping of the rear end and you were off. I did on a couple of occasions power brake the car and let it hang, where it easily put down 60ft worth of rubber through 2-gears.

I even have to admit....It might have actually been a close one between the stock '07 GT I drove and my Cougar from something like a 70mph drop. Those cars have plenty of top end. I bet it passes every bit as well as my 400hp supercharged 2V does.

The seating position and interior ergonomics are also way better than any Fox/SN95 I’ve been in. You’re actually sitting upright, with a comfortable seating position and your hand drops right into place with the shifter. No more reaching for shifts, or cocking your body to once side to grab the gears. The pedal placement was great too. As is that huuuuggge windshield. The visibility is great.

Again…loved the car all the way across the board. Didn’t care much for the lack of window frame on the doors, since I’m so used to grabbing that area to close my door, but I’d hardly call that a deal breaker.

I still think the looks of the ’94-’04 SN95’s are more “sporty” by comparison, but looks are subjective. :shrug:

This is very close to dead on from my synopsis of driving one. :nice:

This thread is mind numbing. Personally I could care less how much my car weighs. But some people are amused. :stick:

Now for my contribution. Years ago I weighed my car at the track when it was virtually stock and with me in it it was either 3651 or 3751 can't remember, sorry. :p But it was one of the two.

Then I weighed it a few weeks back and it was 4400. It must fluctuate. :shrug: