I've decided to turbo my n/a 2.3L 91 motor

jgt58

Jan 17, 2003
Knoxville,TN
Yea . I wont be running above 10 psi , as this is my daily driver and just want a little more horses till I can get through mechanics school. My ? is , that I will be running a IHI turbo and will the exaust manafold bolt up to my dual plug car? Thanks! PS , I am well aware of the dangers of the cast pistons thats why boost will not be turned up above 10 psi and will be running an innercooler so please no comments on " ah just get a turbocoupe motor" as I dont have the place to do an engine swap. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

yea , ive got a list of parts to buy , like 35lb injectors , prolly a walbro 255lph fuel pump , a/f gauge , boost gauge. The name of the game on the n/a motor even with low boost levels is no detonation!!!! I'd rather run rich on my setup than lean.

considering he'll probably blow the engine anyway without putting an ecu swap on it, I'd say just grab an el cheapo vortec fmu and toss a set of 19lb'er injectors on the engine and see what happens heh.

arent stock n/a like 14lb? 19lb should keep the ecu happy and the fmu should be able to handle the rest at low boost. hell, only one way to find out.

oh by the way man, I got my la3 ecu for my swap for $20 off the net.

here's a couple of ecu's for your search pleasure, hopefully nobody will beat you to them though considering the price they are offered at haha!!

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird E7ZF-A1D A 4H2671 $35 Hull Road Auto Parts USA-MI(Monroe) E-mail 1-800-803-5425

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird GET NUMBERS 006566 $34.9 Southern Tier Auto Recycling USA-NY(Beaver-Dams) Request_Quote 1-800-640-7995 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Computer
E7ZF-A1D DD5529 $25 Go Go Auto Parts USA-MI(Delton) Request_Quote 1-800-833-4645 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird EEC CONT. PROCESSOR , 2.3L , M.T--U 91 $25 Crawford Sales and Service USA-SC(Moncks-Corner) E-mail 1-800-347-1547

oh and here's an LB3 which you can also use...$25 + shipping....

http://www.turboford.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008024

Mani should bolt up.

I wouldnt run more then 8 psi on the stock compression. At least not without a nice IC.

get some kind of fuel mgmt, some forged pistons, and and the most efficient IC You can fit.

With all of that... Good Luck :)

-Nick

stackz said:
considering he'll probably blow the engine anyway without putting an ecu swap on it, I'd say just grab an el cheapo vortec fmu and toss a set of 19lb'er injectors on the engine and see what happens heh.

arent stock n/a like 14lb? 19lb should keep the ecu happy and the fmu should be able to handle the rest at low boost. hell, only one way to find out.

oh by the way man, I got my la3 ecu for my swap for $20 off the net.

here's a couple of ecu's for your search pleasure, hopefully nobody will beat you to them though considering the price they are offered at haha!!

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird E7ZF-A1D A 4H2671 $35 Hull Road Auto Parts USA-MI(Monroe) E-mail 1-800-803-5425

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird GET NUMBERS 006566 $34.9 Southern Tier Auto Recycling USA-NY(Beaver-Dams) Request_Quote 1-800-640-7995 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Computer
E7ZF-A1D DD5529 $25 Go Go Auto Parts USA-MI(Delton) Request_Quote 1-800-833-4645 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Computer
Ford Thunderbird EEC CONT. PROCESSOR , 2.3L , M.T--U 91 $25 Crawford Sales and Service USA-SC(Moncks-Corner) E-mail 1-800-347-1547

oh and here's an LB3 which you can also use...$25 + shipping....

http://www.turboford.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008024
? How the heck is an ecu from a thunderbird that uses a vam going to control an engine with a maf? :shrug:

jgt58 said:
? How the heck is an ecu from a thunderbird that uses a vam going to control an engine with a maf? :shrug:

because you swap over to vam durrr.

hell, do whatever you want man but if you try to run it with the stock electronics you're probably going to blow that engine skyhigh even at low boost.

by the time you buy bigger injectors, a chip for the stock ecu, fuel pump, etc. you could have bought a tc ecu and vam and just hacked the harness and been done with it.

and by the way , I would do a swap but some of us dont have garage space , live in a townhouse and dont have engine stands or engine hoists. :mad: but i've just decided to leave it alone since my recent decision to go back to school and get my degree in mechanics and get asc cert. , at that point I'll just buy a cobra 96-98 style.

jgt58 said:
and by the way , I would do a swap but some of us dont have garage space , live in a townhouse and dont have engine stands or engine hoists. :mad: but i've just decided to leave it alone since my recent decision to go back to school and get my degree in mechanics and get asc cert. , at that point I'll just buy a cobra 96-98 style.

lol, I live in an apartment complex and have my svo torn down right now in the parking lot...

several options for retaining the dual plug head with the swap or just toss a dizzy in the plugged dizzy hole and leave one set of plugs unused. you'd be surprised what you can get on ebay for a DIS setup.