I've never once bent a tool...until today.

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
This is so crazy I had to share it. I just got my '68 coupe, so I'm fixing what the previous owner didn't right now (suspension being next on the list...lord is it next!) So today was the alternator and the starter. Alternator had altogether died and the starter seemed like it might be ont he way so I went ahead with it. All was easy as I expected until I got to the upper mounting bolt on the alternator. I first tried a ratchet on it. I sheered the drive off of the ratchet. I tried another ratchet...I <i>bent</i> the ratchet. I got another ratchet, used a wrench on it for leverage and I bent the wrench! I finally got a bigger wrench and spent about 2 hrs turning the bolt. I never was able to fully remove the bolt ( and thus the upper bracket) from the alternator.

I've worked on helochoppers (helicopters for the unaware) and cars, and never once have I had this much difficulty in removing a bolt, even on such an old vehicle! Nor have I ever destroyed a tool (well...at least not using it in the manner intended hahah!)

Anyone else have a similar experience?

• Sponsors (?)

I have used breaker bars with pipes for extensions and usually have good sucess. But there was this one time I was working in a trailer hitch bolt and it was stuck good with rust and road salt. The breaker bar, pipe and hitch survived but I busted my 5in mechanics vise in two. It was about 9 years old and had a lifetime warranty so I took it back and they replaced, they didn't even ask me how I broke it.

welcome to my world!!!

my car is the exact some way - and people why my restortion coming to slow. last sat. i was int here for 3.5 hours ebfore i gave up.. i got out like 5 bolts.

allcarfan said:
sak the bolt with wd40?

Apply heat?

Then try again

Actually this is not the best remedy, WD40 isnt all its cracked up to be. I use this other stuff that works really great, i forget what its called but it looks like it has a bunch of cartoon advertisements on the bottle and the stuff is orange when it is sprayed. works in seconds and eats through rust/corrosion and even frozen up bolts. :lock: i love the stuff. :nice: will never use WD40 ever again!

I have used breaker bars with pipes for extensions and usually have good sucess. But there was this one time I was working in a trailer hitch bolt and it was stuck good with rust and road salt. The breaker bar, pipe and hitch survived but I busted my 5in mechanics vise in two. It was about 9 years old and had a lifetime warranty so I took it back and they replaced, they didn't even ask me how I broke it.

i broke a 6 inch craftsman vise off its base while tightening two pieces of pipe together with a HUGE pipe wrench, its pretty amazing when you see something like a vise break, you'd think that would be the the strongest link in the chain.

69stang351 said:
Actually this is not the best remedy, WD40 isnt all its cracked up to be. I use this other stuff that works really great, i forget what its called but it looks like it has a bunch of cartoon advertisements on the bottle and the stuff is orange when it is sprayed. works in seconds and eats through rust/corrosion and even frozen up bolts. :lock: i love the stuff. :nice: will never use WD40 ever again!

PB Blaster? That's what I use from now on, that stuff is great.

My can of WD40 has moved into the laundry room. If you have grease on something, soak it with WD40 like you would a stain remover, and then just wash it. Old Truckers remedy. Just don't have your signicifant other's delicates in there, unless the smell of WD40 turns you on. It's best to wash them alone or with other really dirty clothes, like your coveralls or such.

69stang351 said:

Ya gotta make do with what ya got at the time :nice:

oboebrian said:
I broke an anvil once making tie downs for our guide dog club. I was tapping closed the soft aluminum 'collars' when the anvil cracked in half.
don't remind us cartoon characters about breaking anvils. :eek:

there is a valvoline product that is their answer to liquid wrench.
this stuff is the best thing since sliced bread.
and it seems to be bottomless, I bought it 3 years ago, and have used it liberally.

next to that, liquid wrench.

wd-40 was devoloped to be a degreaser. i have no idea why it is marketed to have other uses like lubrication. it actually accelerates corrosion.
ask any locksmith, they can always tell when a lockset has been attacked by wd-40!

i do use the stuff as degreaser, it is excellent for removing tar.

foghorn67 said:
don't remind us cartoon characters about breaking anvils. :eek:

there is a valvoline product that is their answer to liquid wrench.
this stuff is the best thing since sliced bread.
and it seems to be bottomless, I bought it 3 years ago, and have used it liberally.

next to that, liquid wrench.

wd-40 was devoloped to be a degreaser. i have no idea why it is marketed to have other uses like lubrication. it actually accelerates corrosion.
ask any locksmith, they can always tell when a lockset has been attacked by wd-40!

i do use the stuff as degreaser, it is excellent for removing tar.

WD40 was originally developed to displace moisture and apparently it took them 40 tries to get it right (Water Displacement - 40).

1320stang said:
PB Blaster? That's what I use from now on, that stuff is great.

My can of WD40 has moved into the laundry room. If you have grease on something, soak it with WD40 like you would a stain remover, and then just wash it. Old Truckers remedy. Just don't have your signicifant other's delicates in there, unless the smell of WD40 turns you on. It's best to wash them alone or with other really dirty clothes, like your coveralls or such.

Yes!! thats the stuff! :banana: its good stuff. I love it.

allcarfan said:
Ya gotta make do with what ya got at the time :nice:

Well this is true, but i do recommend going out and purchasing some of this stuff. PB Blaster is excellent! :D