Jacking / Jack Stands

usaf_branham

15 Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Boston
I'm not very familiar with IRS... I used to jack my 04 from the pumpkin and place Jack stands on the rear subframe in front of the control arms. Am I good to jack this from the pumpkin? Where do u guys put the Jack stands? Maybe it's because I can't really get under it, but I'm not seeing subframe?!

I swear I'm not stupid here, I feel dumb even asking... But I don't want to screw something up on my brand new car. Better safe than sorry. Lol. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

There certainly is a sub frame under the car, it is just worlds different that your 04'. I've jacked my car from the cradle as opposed to the differential and supported it by jack stands on the sub frame and haven't had any issues thus far.

If this was yesterday I could have snapped you one, lol. I drove the truck to the shop today:notnice: I'll see if I can't snap a few pictures this weekend when I'm out in the garage putzing around

I used a jack and a 2x4 on the subframe to get the car in the air, don't want to bend it all up. Then placed the jack stands under the engine cradle. In the rear, I jacked the car up on each side by the rear control arms, then placed the jack stands under the diff cradle structure.

It took me 45 minutes to figure out the places that would support the weight on the jackstands, so don't feel bad about asking.

I just installed the Steeda Jacking rails on my convertible. They say they fit but I had a little trouble getting them and the rear frame like pieces that bolt on both side on at the same time. Had to widen the mounting holes on the steeda rails but otherwise great. I don't think the frame like parts are on the coupe so they should fit easy and they work great.

When I wrote this, I was curious about jacking the rear to install my catback... I jacked it from the diff and put the jack stands on the lca's / spring perches.

Now... Fast forward until today.....

I have a set of longtubes set to be delivered tomorrow. I was planning on jacking from the k-member and putting the Jack stands on the sub frame rails. Well, my floor Jack will not reach the k-member and I don't want to destroy my pinch welds with the floor jack. So, I think I am going to pull the scissor jack out of my wife's edge and use it on the fwd pinch welds enough to get a jack stand on the subframe... Once it's supported on each side, I will move the floor Jack to the k-member and pick it up as high as I can get it (adjusting the stands the whole way up).

I tried to put a little bit of pressure on the drivers side aft mount of the k-member and realized it is definitely not a safe place to put pressure. Don't do it. It concaved the washers by about 1/16th of an inch before I stopped.

Has any one had any issues jacking the center of the k-member?

I'm not very happy about the unfriendliness towards mechanics with the new platform. It seems like ford either expects people to take the car to the dealer or have a lift in their garage. Not cool.

I generally jack the car one side at a time from under the control arm, can't get mine to the middle of the k member either.

On a more positive note, I am picking up a lift for the new garage tomorrow lol. I"m hoping to be over this working on the floor crap

It's hard to believe that someone hasn't posted an image of the hacking points yet. :chin

JPEG-1-Mustang-Jack-Points-96913.png

Reactions: 1 users
I saved the above photo/diagram to my desktop before realizing that it is Not an S550.

I start with a pair of 2x8 ramps (fastened with drywall screws - one long 1x8 with two 2x8 on top - the tires sit on the 1x8 before climbing the 2x8's (all slope cut)). on these ramps, a standard floor jack will reach the K-member (front on ramps) or the diff (rear on ramps).

For side jack I pull onto the ramps and then put a Slotted Jack Pad (available on amazon or ebay) on the jack. This "hockey puck" lets me jack on the pinch welds. I start opposite end from ramps.

Last edited: