JEEP GUYS HELP!!!!

beanplant

Founding Member
Jun 25, 2002
KC MO
Well first off, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Mine's not starting off so great.
Some backround:
On my way home from my girlfriend's tonight, I was on the highway, and i felt my car start to shutter a little..... then it kept getting stronger.... almost like it was low on gas (I have more than a 1/4 tank). Then the RPMs kept going down. It finally died. I pulled over and tried starting it back up. Took a couple times, then it started.
It died a few more times, so I drove all the way home on the shoulder. It has a VERY rough idle now, and if you give it any gas it stalls, and wants to die. But if you get it up above about 1200-1500 RPMs it seems like It'll stay. I can let it sit at 2000-3000 RPM without any problem. it just wont idle, or do anything when you give it any throttle. It keeps dieing.
What could this be?!?!?! Fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, throttle position sensor????
If ANYONE can help, it would be GREAT because its snowy up here any my stang doesn't do too well in the snow. I need my 4WD.

Thanks guys!
-Shaun

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like either a TPS problem, which is unlikely at idle or it is a dirty carb problem.

Check the fuel filter and air filters before attempting this following checks.

You should have a carter one barrel or two barrel carb on your jeep. Am I correct? If so the 1 barrel has 7 screws to remove the top, take a look on the inside. Keep an eye on any check balls and weighs, and take some carb cleaner with the tube attached to the sprayer, and blow out the passageways. Get them clean, if a gas passage for the idle circuit is clogged it will cause a lean condition, IE the rough idle, and not being able to accelerate and die. It will also cause the vacuum operated pump on the one barrel to not operate. With the Carter 2 Barrel, it has 6 screws on it to pop the top. Depending on the model, it'll either have a electric choke or not, if it does you have a clip on that side to remove from the choke butterly linkage on the choke side. Also pop off the top on the very top of the carb, it'll have either 1 screw or 3 screws, and pop the linkage off for the metering rod linkage which goes from the metering shaft, to the linkage to the throttle shaft linkage. That'll pop it off. Open it up and do the same process I said to the one barrel. WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER! This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT WITH THE TWO BARREL! Make sure you slide the metering rods back in carefully, as to not bend them. You will have to wiggle them back and forth to get them to fall into the jets properely. When the metering rods fall back into place, pop the linkage back on, and clip it back on at the throttle shaft. Pop all the screws in and you should be set.

DO NOT TOUCH THE IDLE MIXTURE SCREWS OR METERING ROD ADJUSTMENT SETTINGS. IF IT RAN RIGHT BEFORE IT'LL RUN RIGHT AFTER YOU CLEAN IT OUT IF NEEDED!

Good luck! PM me if you need anymore help! :D

Well, to Ares, thanks a ton for all the stuff. It is a two barrel, and it didn't look dirty to me last night. This has got the TBI on it though. I don't know if that is any different or not.

As for water in the gas, I haven't added heet to it in a while. It could very well be that. But is this a normal thing to happen driving down a highway?

I now have it inside my garage, and I think the battery is dieing from starting it.

If anyone has ANYTHING else, it would be AWESOME. I work tomorrow (at Oreilly) and I hope I don't have to buy a 100 different things. I HOPE its not the pump. I did hear the 'whirring' sound when you put hte key to the 'ON' position. I did not hear it when the car was running though. Now it simply won't start. I DONT KNOW!!!!

-Shaun

Well now see, I didn't know it was a TBI. That does make a big difference, because that means there is a computer, and many many wires involved in the diagnosis of the jeep. After check basic stuff, like do you have spark, is there incoming fuel, etc. It gets a lot more complicated from there. Things to check on TBIs are fairly simple in terms of does fuel come out. Have someone turn the car on, and press the gas to see if fuel sprays out of the TBIs. If it does NOT, you need to get a set of wires, and hook it directly to your battery, or another 12 volt source and manually get the injectors to fire, negative on one post and positive on the other. Do the same for the other injector. If it fires then it is not that the injectors are bad, but that you have a wiring problem within the injector wiring OR something with the computer took a dump. Honestly from there I would take it to a professional, just because it can get a lot more complicated. However if you are so inclined to do it yourself, get a manual for your vehicle and have at it! Good luck!

My grandpa had a problem in his Surburban, it took them two weeks to figure it out, after they traced every single wire in the vehicle to find the problem. It ended up being a wire that had broken inside the insulation, but not the insulation itself. So when the vehicle heated up the wire seperated and caused the vehicle to die.

Well, on the Jeep forum I subscribed to last night, the guy said he had the same problem. It ended up being the Air charge temp sensor. Mine was FILTHY. So I'm hoping that is the problem. But the thing is, it doesn't even start now. IT turns over really well, but no start. I can smell the gas fumes after trying to start it, so I know its getting fuel. And I was getting spark last night. So I'm hoping it is the sensor.

-Shaun