jeep question (how to tune a carb?)

hi yall, i have a 1979 cj7 with an AMC 304 in it. this is the first carbed car i have owned. the problem is that when i go like full throttle, it wants to die out. i am assumming the carb may just need to be tuned? so i was wondering if anybody could give me a quick "how to" on how i tune a carb.
thanks,
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

No "tuning" required there. Treat it much like you would a fuel injected engine. What would cause it to bog down? Not enough fuel? not enough airflow (meaning intake AND exhaust)? There's the first two things to look at. If both of those are known to be good, check out the float level and main metering parts of the carb. Perhaps the float is not allowing enough fuel in the bowl, or there's a clogged main jet?

You are in the wrong forum. Asking a bunch of fuel injected guys to tell you how to tune a carb is like asking a 17 year old to buy an 8-track for his car.

Try the pre 79 mustang forum.
Scott

yea katshot i guess i will check all of that out first. and modingo i gues i asked here because i am most comfortable asking here. it would be like asking your group of friends a question first to see if they know, before you go and ask that other pack of strangers that i am not as comfortable with