Jenn's Muffler - Part II

Jenns01TA

Mar 31, 2005
Okay folks,

For all of you who have not been following the saga of the cracked baffle/Muffler replacement in my Lil' Stang. Here is Part I

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=659242

So I have this thing about starting the car and walking behind to take a listen, check visual Air Pressure in tires and then slide on in for the ride.
After the OEM replacement I noticed the other day that this replacement sounds different. Can someone get me pics of the stock 05 Exhaust Muffler and Pipe I have on this PDF to compare. Because something is WACKED here. I do not recall seeing this copper resonator in the previous exit exhaust pipe. I sanded the burrs of the end for the love of God!!!

Thanks!

Jenn

Attachments

• Muffler.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks Bigcat. So that would be why we have the fancy little copper interior resonation/amplitude reducing baffle then.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! :bows:

Amazing I am that in tune with the Lil' Stang.

bigcat said:
you are correct... the GT auto right muffler # is:
4R3Z 5230 RA FOR COUPE
5R3Z 5230 AA FOR VERT

So the question is: What does Jenn have (auto or manual, coupe or vert) and what replacement muffler did she get? ( correct one or ?).

351CJ said:
So the question is: What does Jenn have (auto or manual, coupe or vert) and what replacement muffler did she get? ( correct one or ?).

CJ, you are probably thinking something along the lines of: WTF? Why is she always posting in V8 tech if she drives a V6? Shoot me a PM and we shall discuss this phenomenon. I promise to keep it to less than 5 sentences and 100 words (unless we get derailed talking about economics or business. :D :SNSign:

It is a muffler and performing its designed function. I would have to state that I am neither unhappy nor happy: I am neutral. I will be placing a call to Mr. George German at Future Ford tomorrow; however. I will not ask for a different muffler. I will have him make a note of it and ask him to speak to the service technician that placed the order. Due diligence in ones work is really not too much to ask.

So to wrap up this fun little adventure, I am again blessing the Lord that the Stang is still under warranty, because if it wasn’t, I would have had an astronomical invoice for 2 days of exhaust and suspension diagnostics and 1/2 for installation, to be sitting here in the end with the incorrect muffler.

This is really no big deal and I understand mistakes happen, but this is trip #5ish to this dealer. Each time it is "the usual". I am amazed that they have one of 'them there fancy Blue Oval Certified – Gold Member rating' thingies. I would probably vomit to see the poop that happens on the "lower classed" Ford Dealer Service Centers. :eek:

Thanks again bigcat. I know you always have my back, so I am Cool!

~J~

Jenns05Stang said:
CJ, you are probably thinking something along the lines of: WTF? Why is she always posting in V8 tech if she drives a V6? Shoot me a PM and we shall discuss this phenomenon. I promise to keep it to less than 5 sentences and 100 words (unless we get derailed talking about economics or business. :D :SNSign:

A completely incorrect assumption, Jenn. I was not passing any value judgement on which Mustang model you drive, nor whether you should or should not be posting your muffler topic in the the "2005+ talk" section (last time I checked this was the 2005+ talk section, not the GT Tech section). In addition I fully understand why you would post here instead of the V6 tech section as the V6 section went so dead months ago I don't think that I (nor almost any other StangNet member) has even looked in the V6 section in 6 months.

I was merely wondering if you got the correct replacement muffler. Although according to bigcat you got a v6 vert muffler I still don't know what you're driving, but putting the pieces together I'll guess you have a v6 coupe that is now sporting a v6 vert muffler.

And one more question for bigcat. Do manual & auto V6s have the same mufflers or are they different like the GT?

I was joking CJ. :doh: My ill-fated funny was more a call for you to PM me than anything else. :stick:

I spoke to the Director of Parts and Services today. Interesting productive conversation. Now, if he does anything with the information and insight is his issue. Ball is in his ball park. We walked through a couple WOs on my car and discussed "points of interest" on each one.

351CJ said:
And one more question for bigcat. Do manual & auto V6s have the same mufflers or are they different like the GT?
it only lists coupe or convertible, so i assume they are the same between transmission choices.

i just looked in a newer book, and it lists the same muffler for ALL V6 options in 05/06. SO, maybe ford superceded the mufflers. :shrug:

what did the parts director say about it jenn? IF he can come up with this conclusion, then he is doing his job. if not, well, we know the answer..... :nonono:

bigcat said:
it only lists coupe or convertible, so i assume they are the same between transmission choices.

i just looked in a newer book, and it lists the same muffler for ALL V6 options in 05/06. SO, maybe ford superceded the mufflers. :shrug:

what did the parts director say about it jenn? IF he can come up with this conclusion, then he is doing his job. if not, well, we know the answer..... :nonono:

He called my home and I was not back from work. I left him a message. I have confidence that he will call me back. It is not uncommon to have revisions and platform compatibility changes from one production year to another. It makes more sense to have a single muffler for both, even if they have to go with a more expensive design for the part. It makes up for it in the assembly run.

I will let you know what happens tomorrow. I am already far more relieved to know that he is taking this serious and double checking. Now, if I have to suck it up and play the "stupid woman" I will have you to thank bigcat. :ban:

Joe Hanson, Director Parts and Services at Future Ford gets HUGE PROPS from this lady!!!!

He called me back today with the Shop Foreman on speaker phone. Very respectfully he started to mention they researched the muffler parts #s and that there was a change to a single muffler mid-production year 05. As soon as he paused to take a breath, I very politely interjected that "we" had came to this conclusion last night upon further research. I told him that I was very impressed that he made a concerted effort to research and respond to my silly muffler concern.

I told him I would score him the higest ranking on the customer feedback survey and make note that he went WELL above and beyond for this young lady.

We went on with a little discussion regarding the redesign and how he has an 06 GT. I extended the offer to come join us here on SN if he ever finds free time and feels the need to hang out with true Mustang enthusiasts. LOL (had to get the marketing promo in there - WOOT!).

He thanked me for being respectful, professional and knowledgeable which in turn made him WANT to assist me. (There is the true juxtaposition to most customer concerns - screaming and yelling gets you know where fast.)

I get the feeling that people these days do not know how to hold respectful conversations, employing tact and patience with service industry employees. I guess I always receive equal treatment as I give out and have never gotten a quick resolution being less than a lady. A methodical, well spoken lady that exudes confidence seems to kick them into high gear.

SO. The answer is YES same muffler for V6s regardless of manual, automatic, vert or coupe.

Bigcat, you may come out from under the chair. No harm-No foul. I developed a good raport with Mr. Director and I now know that I can call on this man if something BIG ever comes up.

NOW, I can get some sleep and continue to solve the world's problems.

Jenns05Stang said:
I was joking CJ. :doh: My ill-fated funny was more a call for you to PM me than anything else. :stick:

Oh, so you were coming on to me, but I was too stupid to pick up on it. :D

In anycase, I'm happy to learn that you have the latest updated muffler on your Stang now. :nice: